Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error connecting to SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

aonefun

Technical User
May 21, 2007
US
Upgraded from Act 2006 to Act 2008. When attempting to create database for the first time, I receive the following error message: "Unable to create the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server." Firewall was disabled at the time of install, what could the problem be?

You're trying to create the database on your local machine?

Whay aren't you using the ACT! 8 database and converting it?

What operating system?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

I'm having the same issue upgrading to Ver 9 (2007), after the install process, I put in the serial number and hit the next button and a warning comes up stating "The registration process has detected that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard edition is installed, but the serial number prevents access. Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard edition and use Disc 1 to re-install Act!, and then register the product."
I did uninstall Microsoft SQL Server and the help files and an SQL Writer? And then went to re-install, actually I repaired Act! (hey, maybe that's the problem).
XP Home Edition SP2, on a Dell Dimension 8400, Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 1 GIG RAM.

I'm still waiting for my copy of "MENSA for Dummies"

This is not an issue with ACT!, but with Microsoft's SQL Server not being properly installed on your system

Did you already have SQL installed from any other application?

I would get the uninstaller.exe file from the act.com knowledge base and make sure it removes both versions and then reinstall ACT! 9

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back