Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error code E6300 Windows NT scsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinga500

MIS
Mar 4, 2002
US
Hi Everyone,

I've begun to see some scsi errors when I inventory my tape library. The error code is "Error code E6300 Windows NT scsi, SCSI command retry" has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Bruce

I'm having the same Error too. Looks like loose connection. This error seems to intermittent. What I did was to check the cable going from Server to Tape Device and I haven't received the Error so far.

See if this works for you.

Cheers

This usually comes down to hardware. If you only get one or two errors during a run it's probably not worth bothering with as it should recover and continue. However if you get lots of these errors and the job fails then it can be a hassle.

I've had this on about 6 different servers over the last 3 years, 4 of them were brand new Dell servers all with DLT1 drives that seem to have been faulty. Dell replaced the DLT1 drives on each server and they have worked fine ever since.

Another server a loose internal SCSI cable and the last server was a complete nightmare. After checking/replacing the cables we had the DLT drive replaced but it still didn't help. After that we had Dell replace the SCSI backplane, that didn't help either. Finally Dell replaced the motherboard and it cured it but it took about 3 weeks in all on a main production server that we had to keep downing to try new things.

Hopefully your's will be jsut a simple issue - I have one server that still generates 6300 errors but only a couple per job and the backup completes OK so I'm ignoring it for now for fear of getting into a mess like the last server we had fixed...

I chased my tail troubleshooting an E6300 NT scsi error on a w2k sp2 machine running arcserve 2000 sp4.
I tried a new tape device, a new cable. I reinitialized the database. I deleted all of the jobs. Finally I reinstalled arcserve applied sp4 and a couple of other patches namely 23827 to prevent hung jobs 20824 in an effort to stop the application manager gui from disappearing. This has allowed me to run jobs again.

-Mark

I've also been banging my head against the wall with E6300 errors, mine appear with E3855 too. Had some useful help from CA but the latest device update patch (QO28915, 15th Oct) seemed to fix it. I still get the odd one and every time it happens the job does fail.

As I say CA were quite helpful so try raising a support log from their website.

Using AS2000 SP4, HP 1/8 DTLvs80 autoloader, CPQ DL320 rack server.

Bob Clarke
Mott MacDonald (UK) Ltd

I've this problem,too. I'd replaced new scsi card and upgraded firmware of tape device but it's still E6300. What should I do?

Thanks
Lertchai

I started getting these errors after many months of "happy" use. ARCserve needs exclusive access to the Tape device. I disabled the tape drive from within Windows Device Manager. I got this infomration from this forum. I didn't think it would work but it did.

I also had Database corruption so you may want to run some Database checks if oyur not doing this on a regular basis. Database corruption can cause all kinds of problems that don't obviously look like DB problems. See the below link for more info.

I hope this helps.

Matt

E6300 errors were only solved when I replaced the tape drive (Sony SDX-400c). I had upgraded the firmware, Arcserve had exclusive access, was using the Adaptec's, Sony's drivers for the SCSI, Tape drive. New tape drive also solved problems of several "bad" tapes. Took three sessions with Sony though. Quick test- unplug the data cable, boot up your computer with tape in the drive- If the busy light goes on again after the inital check- your drive is bad.

Hi All,

Guess what, I too am experiencing the [E6300 NT SCSI port] errors. I am using a brand new Dell poweredge 2650, Adaptec U160 SCSI card (latest adaptec drivers) and a Dell Powervault 128T with a single SDLT drive installed.

All of the firmware has been updated tothe latest releases. (Autoloader & Drive)

Arcserve at SP4 level inc all recent patches (QO28915, 15th Oct) and one from Dell for Arcserve 2000 support of PV128T

I have entirely removed and re-installed this config 3 times . Still no joy [nosmiley]

During the last few weeks i'm beginning to isolate Arcserve and the host SCSI adapter as the problem. Whether or not it's Arcserve sending corrupt/faulty SCSI commands to the Host adapter i don't know.

Ill keep yuo all posted on the outcome with Dell.

Personally, i think they'll end up replacing the SDLT drive and the HBA.

Ciao for now

It seems that there is no definite solution for solving error 6300 (NT SCSI PORT ERROR).
I also use Dell PowerEdge 2550 and 2560 with a DLT1 autoloader and a PV122T. After several discussions with Dell and updating to all latest drivers and patches, we still experience the error when the device tries to inventory the slot before starting the backup.
If we reinitialize the device (restarting the engines and stopping, starting the DLT) it works again.
Luckaly it does not happen on a frequently base anymore.

Sadely Dell is unable to provide a permanent solution for the problem.

We were attempting to install a new Exabyte VXA-2 430 Library with two drives when we had these errors.

I found that we could stop this error from appearing by reinstalling ARCserve 2k and Tape Library Option. I then stopped the Device Configuration that normally completes a Tape Library Option install, and installed ARCserve SP4 and QO31854.CAZ NT -DEVICE SUPPORT PATCH before running the Device Group Configuration manually.

This appears to have worked when our previous attempt of patching the device support after installing and running device configuration had failed. I can only assume that ARCserve's original library information was incorrect in some way that sent the library bad commands, causing timeouts etc and that this library information was not completely overwritten with a post configuration patch.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who was scratching their heads after a re-install didn't work because they'd followed the standard install routine.

Regards,
Tim.

I get this message sometimes too. What I have found is that if I disable the tape drive in the hardware profile (so the windows drivers are not loaded) ArcServe seems happy.

Go into device manager. Update your SCSI / RAID controllers. IN my case they were adaptec. I got the drivers off the IBM site. Reboot your server. Run your jobs. I spent a week troubleshooting this issue. This resolution was my fix. Next time you consider backup software, give Arcserve a miss.

The problem is with Scsiport.sys. A W2k driver that can interfere with the SCSI channel whilst Arcserve is trying to communicate with it. If the BUS is busy when W2k's scsiport.sys attempts to communicate it can retry the command upto 25 times. If all of these attempts are unsuccessful the scsiport.sys driver can them send a reboot command to the autoloader/tape library causing a failure of backup.. Not good.
Adaptec, who posted something about this recommend that your w2k server is patched to at least SP2 (if it's not SP3 already you're doing something wrong!!) which includes (apparently) this scsiport.sys driver.

This is detailed on Adaptecs website. debrian80917 is right. Disable the hardware in your device manager (both autoloader, if you're using one, and tape device), which will require a reboot, and try again.

I've solved the E6300 problem on two Tape libraries this week by implementing this. It's been a BIG problem for a while now and i've finally sussed it :)

Hope this helps.

The Rowster

What goes up, MUST come down [PIPE]

Yep we have done as advised by debrian80917 and rowster above and this has solved all our SCSI E6300 errors

Recommend this to any one, PS this seems to work on NT4 and Win2K, on all types of adaptec SCSI card , IBM servers compaq servers, and "bloke down road built him self" servers

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back