Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error checking names when confinguring outlook for Exchange Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

nth78

MIS
Dec 13, 2001
US
I finally got Exchange 2000 to install and everything appeared to work. I went in and created Mailboxes for the users. Again, everything seemed to work fine. When I go into Outlook on any client's machine and try to configure it for Exchange and click Check Name, I get the following error:

"The name could not be resolved. Then name could not be matched to any name in the address list."

How do I add a user to the address list? I thought when you created the mailbox, it automatically added them to the list.

Thanks

What is the OS on the client machine?? Win98??

If so, install dsclient.exe.

I had same problem on a few NT and 2000 clients recently. In desparation I was trying a whole bunch of ridiculous things. During the course of this I uninstalled TCP/IP and then reinstalled it. In all cases I was able to get the users to resolve.

In testing I also had a similar problem as my recipient update service was pointing to an incorrect domain controller.

Good luck!

wattsup

how do i tell what domain controller my recipient update service is pointing to?

Thanks

Open ESM, Go to Recipients, and select Rcipient Update Service. I have two entries here, an enterprise configuration and a domain config. If you right-click these and select properties you can verify and configure your exchange server and which DC is it pointing to.

Watstup

Another thing to look into is to run a Rebuild on your Recipient Update Service from the Exchange Server Manager.

I ran afoul of this problem because some of my users didn't have any email addresses specified under the Email Addresses tab of the AD users and computer properties. RUS couldn't give the users email addresses because "Allow Inheritable permissions" wasn't checked on the user objects. After I checked this for all my users & did another Rebuild from RUS my problems went away.

Does running the Rebuild affect users...? Can i run it in the day while people are connected to Exchange?

Cheers :)

Chris

help me, I am having same problems. my Exchange has been rock solid up until this point.

Are all the client on the same domain, are they VPN clients. If they are XP Pro, try turning the built in firewall off. Check the users profile in AD and make sure that there is no check mark in the box that says "Hide from Exchange Address List"

If your mailbox is working fing use it as a tester. Go to AD, open the user account that you are having probems with. Click on the Exchange Advance tab. Click on Mailbox Rights button. Add yourself and give Full Control. Go to the client workstation in question and try to setup the email using your information, what happens? Go to your workstation that is working fine and try to add the users mailbox to your profile, what happens?

Let me know and I will try my best to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back