Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR : Cannot run under a protected environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosl

MIS
Jan 15, 2002
CA
I am trying to install a Flash BIOS update on my dell latitude laptop. When I try to extract the executable to my floppy disk this error occurs:

ERROR : Cannot run under a protected environment
Press any Key to exit
ROM update not performed

I'm logged in as administrator and I disabled norton anti-virus. What else can I try?

Thanks

I forgot to add that I'm running Windows 2000 professional. I'm sure many of you assumed that, since it's in the Win2000 Professional forum.

Thanks

It sounds like you don't need to extract anything. I'm guessing the protective environment here is windows. Try copying the .exe, boot to dos, then open the .exe
Might be a start

All DELL Laptop bios updates create a bootable floppy disk. The machine MUST be re-booted using this disk in order to update the bios. You CANNOT update your bios from within Windows....

sounds like maybe the exe is trying to directly control the floppy drive, which 2000 will not let it do. If you have a 95/98 machine try running it on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back