Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: Cannot create temporary file

Status
Not open for further replies.

suelew

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
When attempting to view files on a W-2 CD, the following error comes up: Cannot create temporary file. I can search the CD and pull up a record but when I try to access it, the error comes up. This only happens on this PC. I can successfully view the files on other PCs, both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Pro. The PC that is not working is Windows 98SE. I ran chkdsk (some errors were found and I corrected them) but still get the same error. I also defragged the hard drive but it did not help. In autoexec.bat there is a set TEMP=c:\TEMP statement. The Config.sys file has files=150 in it. I also cleaned up all temp files and rebooted but to no avail. Any ideas as to what else to try would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Suelew

just a thought but windows temp file is c:\windows\temp not c:\temp sounds like another program created that entry. i would remark out the line in autoexec and then goto c:\windows and delete the temp folder there and restart the pc and let windows recreate it.. then try

Not exactly correct Buckeye. The temp variable can be set to any where you want. In his case, and mine, it is set in the autoexec.bat to c:\temp. I like it that way because it is quicker to get too. You can do this in XP or 2000 also, only they do not read the autoexec.bat for the info.

Back to the original problem: I think it is trying to write the temp file the same place the program is being run. Which is a cd, so of course it can't write it. try copying the data to a hard drive and running it.

JON

maybe so but as far as trying to run the program on the CD which would make sense if it happened on every pc but as i read it, it works fine on every other pc but the one in question.... so i would take it that it is not trying to write to the CD, As far as the temp folder, yes you can tell windows to put the temp anywhere you want it,not saying that you cant but again as i see it and have seen alot of programs create a c:\temp folder i was saying that maybe he saw that folder when he mention that he empty it and that is why he wasnt fixing the problem.... that is why i suggested deleting the c:\windows\temp folder and let windows recreate it

You are correct Buckeye, if it does work on other pc's then it must be the folder it is trying to write to.

If a folder has too many files in it already Windows will not let you make another.

Suelew: Try emptying the Windows\temp directory.

JON

Thanks so much for the replys! I will try these suggestions and let you know. (I don't have access to the machine until next week.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back