Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error afer database split failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernbeaver

Programmer
Jul 9, 2001
CA
I have an microsoft access DB that I created and was working fine. I tried to split the database into two using the database splitter and gets error "error accessing file. network connection may have been lost". So I re-attached the tables back to front end and still get the error. I open a back up version of the program (one I had tested and knew it worked) but now get the same error. I begin to think its my system and not the db so I copy the file to another pc and I get the same error. now on this new pc if I run any other microsoft access db I now get this error. any ideas? and of course my project is due today :(

Very unfortunate to say but it might be corruption......

Remou gave me a very usefull link to sort out corruption..... [link = ] [/url]

P.S. I hope you kept a clean backup that you did not touch with ur present system, if so try opening it on a different desktop

Note that these are my thoughts and I never came through any of those errors, so if any one else can post, might be better then me.

I think that reinstalling Access may be the only thing that will help. It does sound like your Access system itself (as opposed to just a specific mdb file) has become corrupted.

[small]No! No! You're not thinking ... you're only being logical.
- Neils Bohr[/small]

Beaverok, start by testing the db on another system before reinstalling with no effect, less time lost¸... if u get it working on another system, just don't load it until you get it to your teacher..... Either way, You shouldve backed up BEFORE the split, hopefully.....

Sorry for going over you golom, just a thought....

itishardtoprogram: I have tried it on a seperate pc, once I ran the MDB it corrupted access on that system as well. on the new test system once I ran the mdb it gave the error and any mdb that I ran after it did the same thing- hit the same error

I think you might be having a VERY SERIOUS problem... Apparantly, when splitting your database you corrupted it, and after so, the database corrupted your access. not only that, but opening another database with your corrupted access seems to corrupt the database you opens, and so you are stuck in indefinite loop. I think that if you want to recover you will need help from an expert. I don't konw the volume of your database... but if it is not too big you will obviously have to reinstall access and reinstall your database.....

Maybe if you try using another front end then access... set a manual connection and connect to it through another front end... (ADODB)

p.s. this is just a thought as I am not familiar with connections.

None the less, I am prety sure that your backup database is now also corrupted, I hope you have another backup on a read only or something, if you do, then do NOT open it with ur corrupted access....

well I re-installed ms access then created a new mdb then imported the forms, tables, and modules with the exception of two forms which hit errors when I tried to import. a quick compact and repair and I was off and running. thanks all for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back