Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Adding Components in MTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

finny

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
US

If anyone could help out with this issue, I'd be greatly obliged. long story short, I've created a web app.

Normal Development progression.
Dev box, test box and prod box.
On Dev and Test box, everything works fine. I added the dll(created in VB6) and then created package, added components on both boxes and no problem. App runs fine.

On prod box, I add dll, create package and try to add components but I get this error message-

Run-time error '91':
Object variable or with block not set.

This error message pops up for each component witin the dll.

I've also tried to export package from test box and try install on prod that way. I get to Installation Options and I get the same pop-up error as above. This time when the pop-ups are done, the viewer gives me the errors occured box tells me that the component information is out of date.

If someone has seen this before, I appreciate any push in the right direction to get this resolved.

Thx in advance...finny

I didn't resolve this issue per se...however, I did find a work around.

Instead of exporting and installing an existing package, I created the package from the existing MMC entry on the dev box and ran the *.exe created on the prod box and it work out ok.

finny.

The problem you are having is because your dll is referencing other objects that do not exist on your production environment. An example would be you are using MDAC 2.7 in your dev/test environment and MDAC 2.6 in production. The error message is telling you that you are referencing an object that doesn't exist...

rfhowell222,
thx for your reply. I've checked all references that are within my dll and the only file I see as being different is the stdole2.tlb file and that file is actually older then the file I have on the dev/test boxes.

Dev/Test is version 2.40.4277 v. version 2.40.4275 on production. Version 2.40.4275 is the file I have running on the machine where I compile that dll. So if anything, I would think it would blow up on dev/test for the out of date reason and work fine on the prod box. Does that make sense?

If you have any other ideas/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. This issue is causing big performance issues with my web app b/c I need to reference the dll from the test box just to get prod web site working.

Thx in advance...finny

Finny,
Have you tried using the Package Export option from MTS? Right click on the package you want to export and go through the Export... wizard This creates a single .exe that you can run on the destination system (your prod system in this case) that will copy the package and all of its dependancies. This has gotten me out of the woods on many occassions...Hope this helps...

Finny
the error u r getting is due to the some interface/method u r using inside ur MTS object which is not supported by that object now the q is how to resolve it dear there could be many possibilities for this error so if u want to catch the error just DEBUG ur MTS component at development with both the EXE and MTS compoents running,so u could figure out what the prob is
Regards
Nouman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back