Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Active directory is sitename.local, mail address is sitename.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmstenner

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
AU
Hello all,

We have recently put in a Windows 2003 Server running Active directory (as sitename.local) with DNS, DHCP etc running fine, all the client computers have been succesfully migrated off the old domain onto the new active directory domain.

We have also removed an exchange 5.5 server and installed Exchange 2003 on a new server running Windows 2000 Server, which is connected to the sitename.local domain as a member server with administrative privledges.

OK, here is where the problem starts, when I installed Exchange 2003, I told setup the domain would be sitename.com, which is our registered site name with an internet naming authority (it used to work with our Exch 5.5 server without problem).

Anyway, it appears that I can send messages out, but when I attempt to send them in, I get a "Remote host said: 550 5.7.1", I have done lots of searching as to the way to fix this error message (i.e. allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above, in ESM (Exchange sys man) under servers and default SMTP virtual server, I have also checked recipient policies and sitename.com is the default selected domain, I have also tried applying this, rebooting the server etc etc without any luck).

At this point everything seems to point to MS kb article 819421, but Microsoft says this is for exchange 2000 and a user not being "Able to deliver mail to the local domain after you change the default recipient policy", but of course, I don't want to deliver to the local domain!! I want sitename.com!.

Can anyone assist? I am going to call MS product services tomorrow, I am very very frustrated and upset that this has been such an unpleasant upgrade / migration to the latest technology.

Thanks for your time, and help,

Cheers,

Brendan

SMTP connector. Masquerade domain - set that to the .com.

Done.

Hi Zelandakh,

I have just made this adjustment and rebooted. Still no luck.

Any further ideas?

Thanks very much for your reply,

Brendan

Hi,

I have just fixed this exact problem:
I cant believe there is not more out there about this as it MUST be a really common issue, took me days to sort it out
I hope this helps you:

for example:
Company Domain Server = server.office.local
Company Email = blablabla.com

Installed: Windows 2003 Server SP1 - Exchange 2003 SP1

standard install on both, email works fine for internal mail and sending out but could not get any incoming email, here is what I changed:

1 .within exchange manager edit the default recipient policy to make the new SMTP email the defualt.
Example: add new SMTP ... @blablabla.com

2. Open the Exchange System Manager – Servers – <Server Name> – Protocols – SMTP – Default SMTP Virtual Server – Right Click - Properties - Select “Access” - Authentication - select “anonymous access”
(incoming domain SMTP mail is allowed through)

Now this worked for me straight away, not sure if this is the correct way to set it up but it worked, (also are your MX records from ISP correct?)

Rokitma1

All,

Spoke to MS regarding this, the reason it was denying relaying was caused by the metadata file from IIS and Exchange 5.5 causing a conflict.

Anyway, the solution is to remove Exchange 2003, remove IIS6, reinstall IIS6 and reinstall Exchange 2003.

Fixed!

Thanks heaps for your replies, much appreciated.

Brendan

Also - if you start to have problems with MAPI32, make sure that Outlook isn't installed on this server.

I had version 97 cause me a problem, don't know if other versions would cause similar problems.

that's what u got from MSFT call, rebuid everything, geez! they charge u $295?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back