Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error accessing file, network connection may have been lost 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

leewisener

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
GB
I have a database with multiple tables, forms, queries, all the usual items.

It has a main menu with buttons on that when pressed take you to a form within the database.

It has just started coming up with this error

"Error Accessing File, Network Connection may have been lost."

there are links to other databases over the network on other drives, so given the message above I checked that first.

The connections are fine, in fact if you go into the form directly without using the main menu the form opens fine, as do the tables.

So all the data is there and all the forms, queries, reports, etc are working.

Its only when you click on the form button on the main menu that you get the message, so there must be a problem between pressing the button and it reqeuesting the form opern command.

The thing is it is doing this for every button on the main menu so its not related to the set up of each individual button, there must be something common to them all causing it.

Anyone had this happen or have any ideas what might be causing it, I am consfused.

Thanks

Lee

This has nothing to do with network or network connections... It indicates project code corruption and if you don't have a backup you may be in trouble...

Try the following:
1. Make a backup copy of the file
2. Compile and Repair database
3. Start-Run- msaccess.exe /decompile "C:\Path\FileName.mdb"

If nothing works, try importing all objects except the MainMenuForm into a blank database and re-create the main menu form.

For all future work...backup-backup-backup.

Hope this helps,

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

Thanks for that, it is now working.

It would seem judging from the code that some query names were changed and it was not set to automatically update the links, hence the corruption.

All back up and running now, thanks for your help.

danvlas, Thank so much. I used your Run command and it worked. It was espcially timely because I have to present this database to a client tomorrow afternoon.

I did take one additional precaution after copying the corrumpted database. I copied all of the behnid the Form code and modules (thankfully this is one of the smaller databases I have had to develop) to Word. And then copied it back after the decompile.

Also I had to rename msaccess.exe for 97 to keep the Run command from executing it instead of 2k.

Thanks again
Trudye

Thank you so much!! This just saved my database. I had to add the /wrkgrp and path of the mdw to the decompile statement, but it worked great! We like to have an unsecured copy of our secured database and have been having problems creating them. When we try to import to a new db or export from the secured db to the new one, we get the "Error Accessing File, Network Connection may have been lost." message on almost every form once we create the new database. So I ran the decompile statement and then imported all items from the secured db to a new db and it worked! This will be a huge help! Thank you.

Melissa
Designing Access databases since 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back