Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Accessing Database Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazza11

Technical User
Jan 12, 2003
AU
I am using VB6 with Crystal reports 8.5 to produce a couple of reports. Both reports use the VB Data Environment to access the Access 2000 database 'workcare.mdb' and until now I have not had any real problems.

If I run the application and select cmdInjClass_click (see code below), data is obtained via the Data Environment which simply uses a query within Access to provide the information. If I then select cmdManhours_click it runs a query within the routine OpenHoursReport - this also works fine. I can run all selections alternately and multiple times and all reports are fine.

However - if I first open the cmdManhours report - that works fine but when I select the cmdInjClass report I get the following error.

Crystal reports Database Error
Unable to Access first Record

I select OK and then get

Crystal Report Viewer
SQL Server Error.
I can still run the manhours report multiple times but cannot run InjClass.

So long as I run the InjClass report first everything is OK. Can someone please help me - what have I done wrong.

Complete code is below.

----------------
Option Explicit
Dim ClassReport As New crInjClass
Dim HoursReport As New crManhours
Dim ServiceConnection As ADODB.Connection
Dim rsADO As ADODB.Recordset

Private Sub cmdInjClass_Click()
ClassReport.DiscardSavedData
CRVReport.ReportSource = ClassReport
CRVReport.ViewReport

End Sub

Private Sub OpenHoursReport()
Dim SQL As String
Dim strConnect As String

HoursReport.Text4.SetText Format$(DTShowStartDate.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")
HoursReport.Text5.SetText Format$(DTShowEndDate.Value, "dd/mm/yyyy")
' Create and bind the ADO Recordset object
Set ServiceConnection = New ADODB.Connection
Set rsADO = New ADODB.Recordset

' Open the connection
strConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=" & App.Path & "\workcare.mdb;Mode=Read"
ServiceConnection.Open strConnect
SQL = "SELECT Sum(manhours.Manhours) AS SumYearHours, Vehicles.Vehicle" & _
" FROM manhours INNER JOIN Vehicles ON manhours.VehicleID =" & _
" Vehicles.VehicleID WHERE (((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "yyyy" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate]))=2002) AND" & _
" ((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "m" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate])) Between 7 And 12)) OR" & _
" (((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "yyyy" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate]))=2003) AND" & _
" ((DatePart(" & Chr$(34) & "m" & Chr$(34) & ",[rptdate])) Between 1 And 6)) GROUP BY Vehicles.Vehicle, manhours.VehicleID"

rsADO.Open SQL, ServiceConnection, adOpenDynamic, adLockBatchOptimistic
HoursReport.Database.SetDataSource rsADO
On Error Resume Next

CRVReport.ReportSource = HoursReport ' other code modules can enable and disable it
CRVReport.ViewReport
End Sub

Private Sub cmdManhours_Click()
Call OpenHoursReport
End Sub

Appears no one can help me. I suspected this would be a tough one. I have spent some time looking at my problem and it appears that if I use the VB Datareport to do the reporting under cmd InjClass_Click. All is OK so it looks like Crystal does not like using the Data report + runtime connections.

I have used the Datareport successfully in all other instances -

It just seems strange that if I run the cmdInjclass first everything is OK. Maybe I can run a hidden report (something like cmdInjclass_click) that no one sees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back