Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 8601 when trying to restore database

Status
Not open for further replies.

siqbals

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
GB
When trying to restore database sessions from tape error occurs: "E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=\\ESERV002\dbasql70, EC=DBagent does not exist.)" I've checked all the online help suggestions. Anyone any ideas?

I'm using Win2000 Server, SQL sever 2000, Brightstore V9.

The backup was done a system with WinNT, SQL Server 2000 which was upgraded from version 7, Brightstore V2000.

Siqbals,

I'm running into the same problem. Have you found a solution yet? Sorry I couldn't help.

If you get this error "E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=\\ESERV002\dbasql70, EC=DBagent does not exist.)" The only way I could get round this probelem was to install SQL server 7 then upgrade it to version 2000 before restoring the database(s).

First, note that you cannot restore the "master", "model" or "msdb" databases from SQL 7.0 backups to a SQL 2000 instance. Restore of SQL 7.0 system databases to SQL 2000 is expressly not supported by Microsoft.

ARCserve uses different agent names for SQL 7.0 and 2000. A SQL 7.0 instance is "dbasql70". A default SQL 2000 instance is "dbasql@MSSQLSERVER". A named SQL 2000 instance is "dbasql@instancename". ARCserve is trying to restore the database to a SQL 7.0 instance, and is not finding one. That's where your E8601 is coming from.

If you want to try to restore that particular backup to a SQL 2000 instance, you have to go to the Destination tab in the Restore Manager, deselect "Restore to Original Location", find your target machine and select the SQL Server instance you want to restore to.

siqbals, the reason your workaround worked is because you've tricked the Backup Agent for MS SQL into thinking your SQL 2000 default instance is a SQL 7.0 instance. This will prevent you from taking advantage of SQL 2000's additional backup and restore features if you leave this condition, and you may encounter unexpected complications. You'll need to run the SQL Agent Account Configuration utility so the agent can update itself.

After you perform the restore operation, you should immediately create new backups from the SQL 2000 instance to avoid having to go through this in the future.

If you try this and are still having trouble, you should contact Computer Associates Technical Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back