Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 800 when connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonhulme

MIS
Jun 23, 2003
AU
Hello,

I'm having a bit of an issue with a VPN connection. This only effects one user, when ever they attempt to connect the get 'Error 800 - Unable to establish a connection wi the VPN server'.

They are using Windows XP pro. The strange thing is they had no problem using a dialup connection, but reciently upgraded to ADSL (1500 / 64), using a DLink DSL200 USB ADSL modem. I have tested this modem on another PC and can connect without a problem.

I thought this may be caused by Zone Alarm, but i created rules to allow this connection and even tried completeley uninstalling it, but it made no difference. I have also disabled the built in firewall in XP.

I know there is no problem with the sever as no other user is having a problem.

I'm starting to run short of idea's and would like to avoid rebuilding the box to remove what ever is causing the conflict.

Any idea's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

quoted from and check 3) and 4).

Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be un-reachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection.

Resolutions:
1) if you have firewall, open TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47 (GRE).
2) make sure you can reach the VPN server by using ping. Sometimes, poor connection can cause this issue too.
3) You may need to updated firmware on a router or firewall if other OS (win9x/nt/me/w2k) works except XP.
4) The VPN server may not be able to get IP from DHCP for the VPN client. So, you may want to re-configure VPN host networking settings. For XP pro VPN host, go to the Properties of the VPN>Network, check Specify TCP/IP address and Allow calling computer to specify its own IP address, and uncheck Assign TCP/IP addresses automatically using DHCP.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a DLink DSL200 USB modem, I have checked with DLink and there is no firmware update for this modem. But I setup the ADSL connection on another machine using the same
modem and I can connect without a problem.

Setting a static IP also had no effect.

Hi there.
I got the same bad, right now. The really bad thing this time though is that this worked just fine before the weekend... My symptoms is instant, doesn't seem like the connection is actually taking place... It just says error 800 in less than 1/100 of a second... so it could be a local services problem. It might even be a problem at your ISP. Last time I had a equal problem the ISP "had to open some ports in the modem"!!! Go figure... I would try my ISP right away.

I'm having the same problem. One computer. My PC, across the same wireless connection, to an vpn computer across the internet connects fine. The XP system does not.

All patches applied as well.

I have an internal VPN server that my system connects to fine, the XP machine, on the network with mine, cannot connect.

The message is instant!!

Hmm??

If anyone has an idea, it would be appreciated.

Matt

Matthew Moran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back