Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 789: windows 2000 connecting to VPN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopimp

MIS
Jun 9, 2002
CA
Hi, All of a sudden Im getting "Error 789: the L2TP connection failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer" when connecting to my VPN connection. It was working fine one day then this?.. I tried it on an other PC it was fine and connected no problem. I have tried recreating the connetoid... same..I havn't found too much info on this problem. I heard it happens with win 2000 and that is what I am using.

As I understand it now i think it might be a certification thing in the >Console root>

Please I need access ASAP you insights are much appriciated!!

i will also mention that the VPN I am connecting to is Cisco PIX outside interface..

thx

Dear AP,

Any luck in solving the Error 789 issue? I too have gotten the same error while trying to L2TP in through my PIX 506E. As well as error 721 while trying to PPTP in. cisco told me my config was ok on the pix, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

Guys,

Sorry to take so long to reply - just noticed this thread. The cause of your problem is, in all probability, caused by something changing your Internet security and disabling scripting. Go to Security\Custom Level\Active Scripting and make sure that is enabled. I don't know why an option which makes Explorer LESS secure should be required to make a SECURE connection - more Microsoft quirkiness I suppose!

Itried the suggestion from Mel. No joy for me. still get a 789 error. This is really an issue for us as it is a clients VPN access they want us to use for scheduling purposes and it only works about 20% of the time. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin Michel

I'm having the same problem. We just set up a new server with Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 and have been attempting to set up the VPN. While it seems to work perfectly behind the router, it does not work at all from the outside (which is the point). I also get error 789. The scripting suggestion was already enabled. It makes it through the router ok, and to the VPN server, but then it dies. The server side errors include that the client didn't respond in time and that a 'certificate' could not be found. The puzzling thing is, I have yet to find any Small Business Server documentation that says anything about setting certificates. In fact, the Best Practices book specifically states that you should be able to connect from 'Kinkos'. This may not mean anything, since the number two reason (according to Microsoft themselves) that VPN fails is due to Microsoft's own directions on how to set up VPN on SBS 2000. I keep going in circles. Anyone else have any ideas?

hi *,

i've nearly the same problem discussed in this thread.

1st of all: we have no static ip :-( but dyndns is ok.

when i connect via intranet to local server-hostname everything is ok and work fine -> i receive another internal ip-adress.
when i connect to our dyndns hostname i get error-code 781: no certificate was found.

So my question: how can i create a certificat on an W2K-Advanced-Server and/or W2K clients?

Any ansers are welcome

kind regards
Andreas Hornig (DE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back