Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 7391 - Distributed Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrivera

Technical User
Sep 14, 2000
PR
This is my scenario...

Server A Server B Server C
(SQL Svr 7) (SQL Svr 7) (SQL Svr 2000)
(NT4 Svr) (NT4 Svr) (W2K Svr)

Server A is outside a firewall. Server B and C are inside our company's W2K domain. Server B has Server A and C as linked servers. Server C has Server A and B as linked servers.

Then, I got the following so far:
(a) If I execute a distributed UPDATE between servers A and B (regardless who's the target and who's the source) the transaction runs OK.

(b) If I execute a distributed UPDATE between servers B and C (regardless who's the target and who's the source) the transaction runs OK.

(c) If I execute a distributed UPDATE in such a way that server A is the target and server C is the source, the transaction runs OK.

But...
(d) If I execute a distributed UPDATE in such a way that server A is the source and server C is the target, I get a 7391 error indicating that my SQL-OLE-DB provider wasn't able to start a distributed transaction.

I already checked the MDC and it is running ok (otherwise, I wouldn't be allowed to run distributed SELECTs and/or UPDATEs among servers B and C, which I'm doing fine).

Could somebody help?

Please advise!

jcrivera

Advice:

Post in the correct forum, i.e. SQL server. This has nothing to do with ANSI sql.

Oops!
I'm sorry.

Didn't realize that detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back