Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 721 on Win2K VPN (Yes 47 IP enabled!!) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeruk

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
GB
Here we go this might be lengthy but I want to provide all information needed!!!

Basically I have a Standalone Win2k server in a NT4 domain which I am setting up as the VPN server.

Two nics installed - I dont use a firewall, instead I use TCP filters to stop unwanted stuff.
I have TCP/UDP ports 80, 1489, and 1723 enabled along with IP Protocol 47 on both cards.
Our ISP provides us with static IP which is mapped to NIC2 and NIC1 is the internal lan card.
Yes the test user has diallin access both in the domain account in the NT arena and on a local account on the win2k server.
The server can be pinged through from the client and the normal funtionality of browsing etc is there at the client.
The server also can access the net

I'm out of ideas totally and it seems every bboard on the net can only suggest enabling IP Protocol 47 as a solution but it is enabled.
i am thinking its possibly a routing thing as I had a friend who solved it through routing but I dont know much on this subject

Please for the love of god tell me something to get this darn thing working as I am going crazy having spent 2 weeks working on it!!

This might help some, but it didn't help me. Microsoft says that (2k sp4 and xp sp1) clients will reject a vpn server if it has a different ip address then the one they tried to connect to. I'm thinking this means that if you try to connect to the routers public ip, but the vpn server has a different internal ip, then some clients won't connect. Microsoft has a registry fix for the client. Here's the link:

As I said earlier, this didn't help me, but I read a different post where it did help someone else with the are 721 problem.

Actually, now that I've re-read the Microsoft article, I think it applies to VPN servers with more then one nic. And the server responds to the client using the other nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back