Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 711: Remote Access Connection Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionlion

Technical User
May 9, 2003
PH
I just powered on my computer, suddenly I get this error message:

Network Connections

Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager service.

Error 711: A configuration error on this computer is preventing this connection. Fur further assistance, click More Info or search Help and Support Center for this error number.

I don't know what this is and I certainly don't want anybody remotely accessing my computer! I am just a novice home internet user. No complicated network set-ups. Just me and my DSL-ISP.

I don't have a router, hub or whatchamadingle.

Do you think I am being hacked?

By the way, I have the following specs:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
Pentium III 650 MHz
256 MB SDRAM

If you use the search function in Help and Support as suggested, you'll get a great deal of information about this error. First has you or anyone else intentionaly disabled any of XP's services?

Yes, I did search the Help and Support thing. But I still don't know what would prompt such an error to appear.

I didn't change any of the configurations of the PC. Yesterday, I just edited my Excel document and browsed a while.

The first Knowledge Base article listed in the results for this error is 330163 which talks about the dependant services. Make sure all three services mentioned are started.

Thanks man. I see we are having some difficulty understanding each other. It says there in the article:

The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 711 (0x2C7)
Incoming Connections depend on the Routing and Remote Access service which was unable to start. For more information, check the system event log.

I got it in the first line: "When you try to create a new network connection"

That's it, I did not try to create a new network connection. I DID NOTHING.

Thanks for replying. Anyway, the problem stopped appearing after I rebooted the computer.

I guess it still remains a mystery.

My McAfee firewall keeps sending me a notification about a program named "Get Free Software Online.exe" that wants to access the Internet. I keep blocking it of course.

I guess I'll just have to do a c:\format c: again.

LOL

That sounds like spyware. You should check the FAQ's in forum760 for tools to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back