Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 630 when connecting to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoinvip

MIS
Nov 16, 2001
GB
Hello, I wonder if someone can help me as this one's got me stumped:

A friend's father has a PC running Win98SE with an external 56k modem. Until recently he's been working quite happily with this setup but has now decided to move ISP's as he can get a better deal elsewhere. He decided on moving to Tiscali(.co.uk) and downloaded the settings for his computer, but during this process it crashed and now he's unable to connect to either ISP. When he launches IE, he gets an error saying "failed to connect to remote computer - could not detect modem, it may be turned off or not responding". If he goes into DUN and tries to connect to the ISP that way, he gets an Error 630...

I've looked at the config for this, but everything seems right, certainly there's no conflicting devices. Tried uninstalling the modem and reinstalling, recreating the DUN settings and have checked modem settings, device manager etc.. but to no avail....

Does anyone have any suggestions at all please?

TIA,

HoinviP

Run a hyperterminal test, but dial these 2 numbers.

1-888-296-3892
1-800-543-3279

Connect to each number a few times, and post back the results. Very important you do both.

Both lines are 10 cent a minute at&t lines, so don't leave it connected too long.

Stop at step 10 in these instructions.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Matt,

Thanks for the feedback however, I am in the UK and therefore the numbers you gave me will cost a lot more than 10 cents a minute!

Can you suggest a UK alternative please?

TIA,

Peter

HoinviP

Try the same with your local access number for your isp, what do you get?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back