Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 550 relaying mail not allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdolson

MIS
Dec 9, 2002
US
Hello,

We're running Exchange server 5.5 sp4 on NT4 sp6 server.

Our users are having problem replying or sending email to certain companies that we're working with. Here's an exact error:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'bobbie@eurocraftmetal.com' on 7/16/2003 11:41 AM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=rdolson;l=RDOEXCHANGE-030716184020Z-12659
MSEXCH:IMS:RDOLSEN:IRVINE:RDOEXCHANGE 3550 (000B09AA) 550 relaying mail to eurocraftmetal.com is not allowed

I was told that it's because our SMTP server was setup wrong, and that the SMTP server name doesn't match our Domain name and therefore being rejected. But we have been able to send and reply to most everybody outside our company all this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Hi rdolson,

I think maybe your server have open relay and maybe blocked by eurocraftmetal.com

On the IMC routing tab, if you are using the reroute SMTP option under routing restrictions make sure you have the 'Host and clients that succesfully authenticate' box ticked, this will stop your exchange from relaying unless the senders have an account on the exchange server.

The more you know, the more you realise there is to know....
CCNA MCP

Thanks everyone for your responds, I will let you know what I find out.

If you follow GWINTO s instructions dont forget to configure your outlook clients properly (check the : my server requires authentication under tools>mail accounts>options>servers) or else when your users try to send out mail they ll get 550 relaying is prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back