Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error 3855 Unable to position media 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulaa

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2001
NZ
We have just replaced the old with a new compaq 4/8 DAT drive as it has failed to back up for the last couple of weeks. We have put in the newest compaq drivers, we are able to format/erase/retension. The tape service has started etc etc. All is working well. However when ever i attempt to run a backup job all I get is
ERROR 3855 Unable to postion media (EC Illegal command)
I have been through the help files (helpful they aint) can anyone help me with this error and any ideas on what maybe causing it?.

Your new DAT drive isn't recognized bij arcserve.
You need to Update the Tape libraries.
See also the support.cai.com

i have the same problem (error#3855...) with arcserve 2000 workgroup edition and win2k advanced server. the patch (LO53442) seems to be made for arcserve 6.5 version. can i use it all the same ?

I dont know, check the arc serve sight to see if there is a patch for that workgroup edition. We ended up replacing the tape drive with a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back