Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 3734 - passive shutdown control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy2

Programmer
Sep 18, 2001
US
Access 2000, split database.

A new one to me -- multi user setting, and the error somtimes occurs:

-- DB placed in state by user xxx which prevents it from being opened or locked--

It occurs when the passive shutdown control is invoked -- intended to force users from not entering when admin needs exclusive rights.

But... this MS article

states it happens when users get in an out too quickly or too often -- which, I admit we are doing during testing -- and to be honest till we upsize to SQL will continue to be an issue for a few more months.

I must find a way to trap for this error and resume processing, or maybe a way to disable the passive shutdown control.... anything!

Getting desperate -- this is the last issue to address before going live this week.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Just pushing this to the top because I am desperate! Thanks

I do not have a quick fix answer. In the longer view, I would suggest that you move the 'back-end' to a "more robust" db in the here-and-now time frame. It will delay the process a bit in the immediate sense, however it will ultimately save a considerable amount of both time and effort, as there will be less of a conversion effort and (hopefully) less relearning of the db specifics (pecularities).

For the "immediate" issue, review (and possibly re-structure) your testing methodology (hopefully to reduce the log on/off rate?).

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Hi,
I have the same problem and could't figure out why it happend. We have a DB on a server (SHARED MDE, No SPLIT),and if a specific user log in (as a first one to log in) any other user try to log in he gets the messege.

Any help appreciated,
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back