Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 3714 Cancelling because unable to write to tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melise

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2001
CA
I am having a problem with completing backups. The backup is scheduled for early morning each day. About 75% of the time an error message comes up showing E3714 which is cancelling because unable to write to tape. As a result, the backup is being cancelled half way through the process.

I have cleaned the recording device. Also there are no other backups or other verifying checks being run or close to the same time.

Does anyone know of any reason that I am getting this error message? Is there a way to correct this?

Hi Melise

What version of Arcserve and on which Platform have you installed ?

I believe we are using ARCServer 6.61. We have NT 4.0 platform.

e3714? unable to write to media, ec="WHAT"?
position media? find media? please provide more.
But this is normally with e6300's, do you have any?
I find this is normally a bad/old scsi card driver or the bios needs updating [scsi].

The ec= is "unrecoverable data error". I am not sure what you mean by "Position media"? Could you explain.

We will look at the SCSI card drive and bios. If you have any other thoughts in the meantime, could you let me know.

Thanks for your help.

these are just examples of ec='s. Now "unrecoverable data error" could mean the tapes wornout or needs cleaning or if this involves remote backups try taking these machine out the job and see if it completes. Just troubleshoot where "75%" could be in the backup and then tell where.

Need more info

I would like to thank everyonefor their help with this situation, I know I did not give enough information to you to finally resolve this problem. The way we have handled it is to replace the hardware, we had an Exabyte 8505 and I believe it is what caused the problem. We are now using a Tandberg SLR100 and it is running beautifully.

Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back