Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error 3073 Unable to logon as user 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
I've had major problems with ARCserve 2000 not backup up my W2K server, after spending many hours reading through all the tech support docs I've managed to get most things "working", however I am still getting the following message:

W3073 Unable to logon as user (USER=*****, EC=PRIVILEGE NOT HELD)

I have been through info I could find and ensured that the account has logon as service rights. All other rights are correct too and the account has full access rights to the arcserve folder and share. The account has been setup correct for the job security i.e. DOMAIN\ACCNAME so I can't work out why I am still getting this message.

Does anyone have any ideas that may help prevent my insanity?!?!

Looking into this further I've looked through the text log files and have noted from them that the 3073 error is shown under the heading Verify Backup(s), does this help anyone offer any solution?

Is the (windows)user setting up the job the same (windows) user that installed arcserve?

THe issue is that only, let's say, admin account which installed arcserver, can submit a job to run. Thus you have to be logged in as the admin to run the job.

Could you elabortate on the way you installed arcserve as well?

I had this problem a few months back and found that what cbrider described above fixed the problem.

Make sure the name and password you used whilst installing ARCServ 2K is the same as the ones in the security settings window, this is the window you see before submitting the job.

no it isn't, arcserve was installed by a company who just used our admin account to install it! After many weeks of arcserve not working properly, i started from scratch created a new arcserve backup account, set it up as arcserve server admin, created all the necessary permissions etc in user manager and set the services to this account and it appears that most things appear to backup correctly, except this message, is the message reporting false info as the backups do look like they are completing?

Could you describe your system in more detail?

User which was logged on when you did the install?

How much data are you backing up?

Are you backing up client computers?

Is the backup saying it is complete?

Have you performed a test restore?

What sort of tape device are you using?

Describe the backup job.

OK

Arcserve was installed using the main admin account and and a seperate backup account was used for arcserve server admin and the jobs. This account became corrupt and arcserver wouldn't work at all. I created a new arcserve admin account and set all the relevant permissions as per CA website.

The backup is for the entire server and includes BAOF, the taped device is 20/40Gb DAT drive (Compaq).

The backup says it is complete, I haven't performed a test restore as I don't have a test server to restore to as of yet. However, I have checked the logs and scanned the tape and the data is there.

Our previous problem of CAT files remaining on the server no longer exists and everything appears to be OK except for the warning in the activity log.

If I go into the actual log txt file in the arcserve directory that is where the W3073 message is listed under Verify Backup(s)

Is that enough information?

Many thanks

I don't know if this is relevant but have also noted that although the admin password has been reset under Server Admin and the services have been set to run with this password and the jobs are also set to run with this password the job queue still shows the jobs as being owned by the original backup account.

If I right-click a job in the queue and select Modify username I can change the username and password but cannot change the owner. Any link?

OK theory.

If I log into the server as the user that has Arcserve server admin permissions, use the backup wizard to create a new job that is owned by the admin user account and then run the job tonight, is it possible that this could resolve the problem?

I might give it a try if no-one says it definately won't

Simply put, you will recieve these errors if the user in Arcserve isn't the same EXACT user that installed the application. In other words, if the admin account installs arcserve, then the admin account must create/modify the jobs.

I'm sad to say that the CA instructions are not nearly as extensive as they should be.

Also in regards to verifying your backup; just create a directory on your server and restore 500mbs just to see if the data on the tape is usable.

I have been getting the same W3073 error while trying to back up a 2GB server attached to a couple fo RAID drives. All of the directories have administrator rights and I am logging on as administrator to do the backup.

I believe that the install was done by a user who is in the administrator group, not by the user logged on as administrator. Are you saying my choices are reinstall as administrator or add the specific user to all the directory permissions - even though he is a member of the administrator user group?

Thanks for any insight.
Kelli

Administrative User rights don't have anything to do with it. The user who installed the product is the only user one should use to creat jobs in arcserve. Administering user access rights to modify jobs is okay, one can modify jobs as someone else than the creator of the job. But Only the user which installed the jobs can create new ones.

I know an old post, but I have the same problem now. I have changed the password (and have to do this every month) and now the backup job is not working. When I change the password back it works

The link above does not worka anymore - what to d0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back