Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 1926 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFTechie

MIS
Oct 24, 2001
I just installed MS Office 2000 in a computer. When trying to open an application, I get this annoying error message:

Error 1926. Could not set the file security for file 'C:\Config.Msi\'. Error: 5. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to modify the security permissions for this file.

Has anybody seen this message before? Is there something wrong with the installation?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Diego

One question: Do you have VS.net installed?

Anyway, this will give a workaround for the problem:

If there is not a hidden folder called C:\Config.msi, create it.

Set the permissions to Everyone -> Change & SYSTEM -> Full Control

Indu Member AAAA (Association Against Acronym Abuse)

Thanks xlhelp for your post. NO, I don't have vs.net installed in the computer.
I created the file config.msi file in c:\ with hidden atrributes.
This solved the problem.
GO FIGURE!
Diego

Thanks xlhelp. Your note was the only one I've seen that even hints that config.msi is a FOLDER. Can't tell you how long I've spent trying to find the FILE!
I was getting the dreaded "error 1926" when trying to install the Help for Access 2002. Is there an entry in the MS KB that references this problem (and not in verbage intended to confuse or imply it's the user's fault they don't understand the M$ error numbering conventions).
Thanks again.

xlhelp's post solved this for me. Installing Office 2003 on a Windows 2000 Terminal Server. Everyone has Full control at the root of D:\, but creating the D:\Config.msi FOLDER (it IS a folder) and providing full control on that folder allowed the install to complete successfully.

Thanks again, Have another STAR on me!

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back