Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 1606: Could not access Network location 0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayLaborer

Programmer
Jan 3, 2006
US
This issue is driving me completely crazy. I have several Windows user accounts on my home PC (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit). I moved the "My Documents" and "Desktop" folders ("personal folders") to an alternate location for better backup managability. I used the Windows "Move Location" functionality to do so.

When Adobe Reader tries to run an update, I get:
"Error 1606: Could not access Network location 0"

I did a bunch of Googling and found this seemingly great fix from Microsoft:

The problem is that after I run it - and it does fix the problem - my "personal folders" are back to their default locations.

I tried uninstalling Adobe then (re-)pointing my personal folders to where I wanted them and then reinstalling Adobe - but still got the same thing. If I fix it for one account, I get that Adobe error on the other account. I even went so far as to completely delete and recreate the "problemed" Windows account - but I still experienced the problem.

Is there no way to move my personal folders without triggering this bug?

Thanks so much! I'm so frustrated!!!
Eliezer

I tried from the built-in Administrator account, but "EDIT" was disabled. I could only view.

I think it's because the owner of Program Files (x86) is TrustedInstaller. Try to take ownership. After that you should be able to edit permissions.
As of your problem, I believe it's nothing with permissions. Check if environment variables are OK, especially %APPDATA%, %HOMEDRIVE%, %HOMEPATH%, %LOCALAPPDATA%

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Karlis, wow, do I hope you're right! Last night I was doing something - that I thought was unrelated: I right-clicked on another program in the list of Add/Remove Programs - and chose "Change/Uninstall" - it thought for a while and then gave me the same awful 1606 error. And this program was not an Adobe product. So it seems that it affected my ability to un/install applications system-wide. This is really upsetting...

OK, first issue first. When I try to take ownership, I get these choices:
Change owner to:
ComputerName\Eliezer
ComputerName\Administrators

Which do you recommend using?

As for the second (main?) issue - that of environment variables...
Check if environment variables are OK, especially %APPDATA%, %HOMEDRIVE%, %HOMEPATH%, %LOCALAPPDATA%
I don't mean to sound like a complete novice (but I am :)) ...but I don't see these listed at all. I see two sections: "User Variables" and "System Variables". The first section has only "TEMP" and "TMP" and the second section doesn't seem to have the 4 variables that you mentioned, either. Should I add them? Set them to what?

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I didn't move my entire profile - just my Desktop and My Documents. My current paths are this:
C:\All Data\Eliezer\Desktop
C:\All Data\Eliezer\My Documents
...so what should those environment variables be set to?

If you'd be so kind to reply in detail, that would be great. This issue is really troubling - and like I said before, environment variables are kind of foreign to me. I would be so grateful if you could help me get this straightened out!!!

Thanks so much,
Eliezer

Open a CMD window (DOS Box) and type SET and it should list all the ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES...

When I try to take ownership, I get these choices:
if ELIZIER is your log on profile name, then use it to take ownership...

also check the PERMISSIONS, as to who is able to do what on the PROGRAM and PROGRAM (X86) folders (where most software gets installed), make sure that you have READ&WRITE and make sure that this includes CHILD Directories...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I believe it is problem with registry keys, mentioned in MS KB886549, you already found. Check them manually and compare with values given in that article. Especially containing AppData. Path for folders 'Documents' and 'Desktop' will be different, according to locations where you redirected them.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Well, I took ownership and then granted Read/Write permissions to [tt]FAMILYDESKTOP\Administrators[/tt].

I also checked my registry key values against those in the Win7 tables of MS KB886549

I un/re-installed Adobe Reader under the built-in Administrator and still got the same error.

Then I thought maybe the apostrophe in the paths is causing a problem:
C:\All Data\Eliezer\Eliezer's Desktop
C:\All Data\Eliezer\Eliezer's Documents

...so I repointed My Documents to a new folder called:
C:\All Data\Eliezer\Eliezers Documents
(without the apostrophe) and then un/re-installed Adobe Reader under the built-in Administrator and still got the same error.

Here's what my registry looks like for that hive:

In case it matters, here are all my environment variables:
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\Eliezer\AppData\Roaming
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=FAMILYDESKTOP
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\Eliezer
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Eliezer\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\FAMILYDESKTOP
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OnlineServices=Online Services
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32
\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\SnapAPI\
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PCBRAND=Pavilion
Platform=HPD
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2, AuthenticAMD
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=16
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0602
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\Eliezer\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\Eliezer\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=FamilyDesktop
USERNAME=Eliezer
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Eliezer
windir=C:\Windows

So frustrated... Any more ideas? Please!...

Thanks so much,
Eliezer

#1.

Navigate to each of the following Registry locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ User Shell Folders

locate RECENT and delete that KEY, after exporting said key first...

Then reboot...

if that does not help then proceed to #2...

#2.
Be sure to read the whole article, but the BruteForce method may be the final solution:
Finally, I decided to
delete the Favorites entries for both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
and HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and re-create them manually (i.e.
type in a new entry) exactly as they were previously
listed. Rebooted, and it finally worked!
source:
Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Error 1606: Could not access Network location 0"

In your last .jpg I notice that you have the data value for My Music, My Pictures, and My Video, all set to "0". Is there any significance in that?

My locations have entries such as C:\Users\Usernamexxxx\Music and not a zero value. Of course I haven't moved any Documents and everything is a Default setting for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back