Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 1606: Could not access Network location 0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayLaborer

Programmer
Jan 3, 2006
US
This issue is driving me completely crazy. I have several Windows user accounts on my home PC (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit). I moved the "My Documents" and "Desktop" folders ("personal folders") to an alternate location for better backup managability. I used the Windows "Move Location" functionality to do so.

When Adobe Reader tries to run an update, I get:
"Error 1606: Could not access Network location 0"

I did a bunch of Googling and found this seemingly great fix from Microsoft:

The problem is that after I run it - and it does fix the problem - my "personal folders" are back to their default locations.

I tried uninstalling Adobe then (re-)pointing my personal folders to where I wanted them and then reinstalling Adobe - but still got the same thing. If I fix it for one account, I get that Adobe error on the other account. I even went so far as to completely delete and recreate the "problemed" Windows account - but I still experienced the problem.

Is there no way to move my personal folders without triggering this bug?

Thanks so much! I'm so frustrated!!!
Eliezer

From reading online posts, I get the impression this "1606 error" is a problem that's bigger than Adobe Reader; it seems it indicates that the Microsoft installer is broken somehow. That has me especially concerned.

Like my subject line? Oops...

Thanks,
Eliezer

Karlis, is PDF-Xchange Viewer simple to use for users who are not techo-saavy?

Thanks,
Eliezer

You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program

if that does not help, then check your permissions on the %AppData% location (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files)...

report back

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I think so, interface is simple. There are some extra features and toolbars possible but initial set is very similar to Adobe Reader. We installed it in some Internet kiosks, no problems till now.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

On my network I redirect the Documents folders to a network share so I can back them up and use shadow copies, Adobe will not install giving an invalid directory. What I did was to set the Admin password and then activate Administrator, login as Administrator (since it's documents were not moved) and install from there.

So what you need to do is this:

Right click on Computer and select Manage. Select Local Users and Groups, then select Users. Right click on Administrator and select Set Password and create a pretty hard password. Then right click on Administrator again and select Properties and untick the "Account is disabled" click Apply then OK and then log off as yourself and log back in as Administrator, install Adobe. Once done you can go in and disable Administrator if you want. Either way, I would recommend not using it as a regular user account. Only use it for things like installing programs that wont normally install, like Adobe products.

That will make it work for you and the rest of the users. Adobe uses the Documents as a temp directory and since you moved them it freaks out.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Rob, it sounds like you know what you're talking about!!! Hooray! :)

I have a stand-alone (non-networked PC) and am running Home Premimum - so I think that part about Groups doesn't apply.

Is it the same thing if I create a brand new "Windows account" on my PC with admin rights and install from there? After it's installed, I should be able to delete the Windows account altogether, right?

Thanks,
Eliezer

NO... An account with Admin rights is not the same as the BUILD IN Administrator account, which is by default hidden!!!

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista

Ben

OK, didn't know that - thanks for the clarification! So after Adobe is working (hopefully!) can I then disable the Administrator account - or do I need to leave it enabled?

Getting back to "ArizonaGeek"/Rob's suggestion...

I installed Adobe Reader with the Administrator account. When I went back into a different Windows account, though, and right-clicked on Adobe Reader in Add/Remove Programs and selected "Change" from the context menu, I got that same error as before.

Currently, when I look in Add/Remove Programs I see the following Adobe software installed:
Acrobat.com
Adobe AIR
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Reader 9.3

Is it safe to uninstall of all of these, i.e. or do I risk breaking other installed apps? If it's safe, I'd try it again. When I made this last attempt at reinstalling Reader under the Administrator account, I still had "AIR" and the Adobe Flash Player thing installed. Not sure if "Acrobat.com" was installed or not.

Please advise...

Thanks,
Eliezer

It didn't work! I uninstalled:
Acrobat.com
Adobe AIR
Adobe Reader 9.3
under the Administrator account then reinstalled Adobe Reader. I then disabled the Administrator account and got the same error in another Windows account!

Honestly, I can use the alternate PDF reader ("PDF-Xchange Viewer") mentioned above by Karlis. My bigger concern is will this error affect our ability to un/install other apps?

Thanks so much!
Eliezer

Hmmm... I am sorry, I was under the impression that it worked now...

so now, basically, we know that it works under the Administrator account and not under a User account... which tells me that it has to be a permission error...

[quote}My bigger concern is will this error affect our ability to un/install other apps?[/quote]That is hard to say, not knowing exactly why you are getting the error with Adobe Reader...

so basically, it could interfere and then again it may not at all, I would go ahead and use the other PDF viewer and just watch the situation...

Ben

And it seems even admin accounts cannot change permissions on the Programs Files/x86 folders!... Weird.

Well, thanks for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back