Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error -1504 Field 'Description' could not be found. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillieBurgess

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
US
I have this occasionally recurring problem that I would like to have fixed. I have searched the Knowledge base, Googled and searched Tek-Tips and cannot seem to find anyone else with this error.
We are running Access2003 SP2. I have about eight users the database is a split database with the front-end sitting on their C drive and the back-end on the server. This is the pattern of the error. According to the users this usually happens when they system is slow. The users are entering data when they will all get a pop-up box that says [blue]a record has been deleted[/blue]. All the users will have to close out of the database and the back-end compacted and repaired. Once that is done an error table appears with the error code
-1504 "Field 'Description' could not be found."
The Database does not have a field titled 'Description' and I have done a search on all modules/codes for any references to a field named 'Description'. The only time 'Description' is referenced is on the error handling where
Code:
Err_WORKORDERNUMBER_DblClick:
    MsgBox Err.DESCRIPTION
    Resume Exit_WORKORDERNUMBER_DblClick
End Sub
Once the backend is compacted and repaired the users log in and the system is fine. We have yet to find a valid record deleted.
I have locked every form; no one can delete a record via a form. I have turned off most of the menus on startup. The users only see a switchboard. The switchboard automatically sets the user option to edited record lock using code. I have run out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

I have experienced this problem once. If I remember correctly I imported all the objects into a new MDB file and the problem hasn't occurred since.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

To be honest I can't remember. Do both to be sure!

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I am having exactly the same problem. It is happening quite regulary and is solved temporarily by compacting the back end database. When the problem occurs it adds a stray gobbledegook record into a particular table. It is starting to be a real nuisance though and I need to find a way of solving it.

Before I set about copying everything from what is a very complicated database, was your problem solved by copying everything backend and frontend into a new mdb files?

Thanks

I think I may have discovered what was causing this problem.

It's explained in the following microsoft help article.

It seems to be related to memo fields, so I've changed the memo fields that I had in a couple of tables to text fields to see if that solves the problem. Although that's not the only way of getting around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back