Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error 14274: Cannot add, update, or delete a job ????? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb224

Programmer
Oct 15, 2004
US
I created a scheduled job called (MyExtract) .... Then later SQL Server was re-named ..... The job then failed to run .... I created another (NEW) similar job (MyExtract2) .. This second job runs fine .... However the previous job still RUNS and fails!!! I tried to delete it in the SQL Server Agent ... (Jobs) ... but cannot .. I get the error message:
error 14274: Cannot add, update, or delete a job(or its steps or schedule) that originated from an MSX server

I deleted the DTS package in the DTS (local packages) section ..... however when I try to delete the JOB iself in the SQL Server Agent (under Jobs) .. it will not delete ... I get the error 14274.

How can I delete this previous job .. please help!

solution?

1. Rename the server back to the original name.
2. Script out all of the jobs and then delete them.
3. Rename the server to the new name.
4. Add back the jobs by running the script generated from step 2.

==========================
Date is a way to show you care
Time is a great healer
DateTime is just damn confusing

Tim

Are you using sql 7 or 2000? if your using 2000, open the sysjobs table in msdb database. change the originating_server to the new server name. then you can delete it via the jobs in enterprise manager. you will have to update the server to allow you to make changes to the system table. but its faster than whiteknights solution since you wont have to reboot twice.

it should work in 7 too but i dont have any sql 7 systems still to check it on.

I'm using SQL2000 .... Corran007 .. your final steps are not very clear to me ... please try again

Step1. Open sysjobs in msdb table
Step2. Change the originating_server to the new server name for the "bad" job only?
Step3. Delete "bad" job in erterprise manager
OK

then ...??? can you explain in simple steps what you mean by .........................
you will have to update the server to allow you to make changes to the system table. but its faster than whiteknights solution since you wont have to reboot twice.

the last part is really not steps, just info.

for step 2, you should change all the jobs that do not have the current server name in originating_server. you can not really do any modifications. I was just saying for this instance. Same for the delete. if you do not really need to delete it, just change it as needed.

most servers are configured to not allow direct changes to the system tables. to prevent people from messing up and deleting things they do not understand. i cannot remember if msdb is one or just master. whiteknights method does work just fine. It is proably the offical way to do it. But you have to reboot a server twice and change its name a couple times. But mine works just fine and have done it on quite a few servers without problems.

Make more sense?

Well .. not quite...

Can I just do Steps 1,2,3 ... and be done with then?. No reboot required, right? Is that what you did in the past?

I just want to delete that one "bad" job in Enterprise Manager and be done with. ... Were you saying that you were not sure if I could update the msdb table? I could try on my test server if necessary.

you dont need to reboot.

any job that has the originating_server different than the current instance name will not be able to be updated.

yes on not sure if you could update the msdb. you should be able to, i was doing it from memory and couldnt remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back