Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Erroneous Dial-up Networking Code 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

server1

ISP
Jan 8, 2003
PH
When a dial-up prepaid account using Microsoft Windows 98 dial-up networking has zero credit, the response of Windows is Error Code 691 - The Computer you're dialing in to can not establish a Dial-up Networking connection.
Check your password and then try again.

The message is misleading since the problem is due
to no more credit and not wrong password. The RAS is a Cisco AS5300 and authentication is being done by a AAA Radius server.

How can the correct Error Code relating to no credit be displayed by Windows 98 or 95?

Eric Alvar

well, i'm guessing you are a engineer. if so i'll tell you what we did becuase of complications whith the same problem. if you're a user, there's nothing you can do about it.

first, I don't think there is a way to do so. when the account is empty, it is just like it don't exist giving you 691. the company I WORKED for (spr*ntppi.c*m)added a time tracking feature in the dailer that would connect to our servers and post time remaining. it actually worked like this: when the specific userID was authenticated account balance was checked and posted ONCE. the computer/program would then start subtracting time for the duration of the connection. it wouldn't be in real time however. one would have to reconnect after adding time or it would "boot" them off or not show correct time remaining. that was our way, might not be yours!

I don't know the type of radius we used so I guess it is possible to be done but I really don't think so.

here to help.

well the thing is, is that win 98 doesnt know you are using prepaid inet and when you are out of credits your inet comapny cuts you off and therefore win 98 is displaying the correct info because it CANNOT establish a connection. But to answer your question you cannot change windows source to have it dislapy a seperate error code. Perhaps you should speak to your isp about designing some type of credit managing software to let you know when you are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back