Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Erro Deleting File or Folder ("...being used by another per/prog.) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am trying to delete the file Twinbeam.pps off of my desktop. When I try, I receive the message:
Error Deleting File or Folder
[X in red circle] Cannot delete TWINBEAM: It is being used by another person or program. Clase any programs that might be using the file or try again.

FYI, I do not have MS Powerpoint on my machine, so I do not know what program could be using the file. No other users on this PC.

I reformatted and have not had it happen any more. HOPEFULLY that will help. I wrote zeroes to the drive even as there were some errors but that is all fixed now. If it happens again I will know it is a MS PROBLEM for sure!

Since installing XP-Pro, I have come across this problem numerous times, of not being able to delete a file or folder after accessing it. Here's solution that works without having to kill explorer.exe or rebooting and then deleting the file. It can also be used for any other program that may have a handle on the file/folder, though I've found that in XP it's usually explorer.exe. Go to and download Process Explorer v5.25. Install, run, make sure view handles is set, click on explorer.exe in the upper window, go to view/update speed, and choose paused. Then in the lower window, click on Name to sort by name, then right click and choose Close Handle for every instance of the handle of the file/folder you're trying to delete (unfortunetly gotta do it one by one). Once explorer has no more handles on the file/folder, you can delete the file/folder.

Monotov, I have not had any more trouble since reformatting...but if I do this sure may come in handy. Thank you for the information. im2dtailed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back