Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Erratic NT Behavior - Explorer.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwrdriver

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
US
Sytem:
Windows NT4.0/Service Pack 6.0a
NortonAV 4.04, updated daily, all files scanned daily
Eudora LT3.0.6

I recently purged incoming mailbox of accumulated files (mail attachments, downloads, etc, all of which are scanned as they come in) but no files from other directories were removed. After completing that and emptying the trashcan I immediately noticed program response slowed to a crawl and after exiting the program I was in my mouse pointer began pushing desktop icons away from it, as if it had a 1" diameter repelling force field around it.
I checked the Task Manager Performance tab and something was using a flat-line 100% of the CPU. I then checked the Task manager Processes tab and found that "Explorer.exe" was using 99% CPU 100% of the time. It is also was progessively acquiring memory currently using over 10 times the next largest program.
The repelling symptom went away after a first reboot but the icons still jump around like crazy when the mouse cursor is passed over the field. A reboot makes all symptoms go away for a few minutes until I start up another program and in the middle of that things grind to a virtual standstill again and the problem symptoms reappear. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?
Someone said it sounded like W32.Magistr-B infection but did a cleanse and no virus or Trojan was found.
Presently all programs run but response time to all commands is slowed to a crawl and desktop icons continue to jump around. After several minutes (10-15) of using any applications the desktop icons stop responding to mouse clicks and the system needs to be rebooted to restore response.

You most likely have a virus. The Magistr virus and its derivitives will do this. Follow this link and look at what MCAfee has to say about his little bugger. There are disinfect instructions on there or you can download the 30 day trial of F-Secure and its update files to clear your problem. F-secure can be found at Fsecure.com and just go to the downloads section and get their trial as well as the current definitions file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back