Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Err Msg, To many characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul123456

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
HI, I made a database with a field called notes so that the user can enter notes as the clients call in and input some status, the problem they are having (and this is only when a client has a whole bunch of notes) is that it gives an error msg of "Could not update; currently locked by another session on this machine". Again this only happend when the user tries to submit the changes made to the notes section and only when there are a lot of characters. ( for example maybe 16-18 of the lines is when i gives the error) Does access limit to a certian amount of characters?

Thanks, PAUL

Dear PAUL,

Yes, Access limits the number of characters you can enter into a text field.

When you create the table you define the total number of characters allowed. Access sets the default to 50. The range can be from 1 to 255 characters for a 'Text' field type.

If you want/need the field to be larger than 255 characters, then choose a field type of 'Memo'. The Memo field type can grow to over 35,000 characters, but this takes more space. So only use this type of field type when necessary for your application.

Hope This Helps,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Developer [pc] - [americanflag]
Specializing in Access based Add-on Solutions for the Developer

I noticed that on one of the ones that it is giving a error it has 2113 characters...and if i add one more character it will give that same error.. it is set to memo?? what do u people think it is???

Thanks, PAUL

I am getting the same error 2113 and also -2147352567 - with message not a valid value for this field. I have been going through all my books and it is making me nuts. the field is an 8 digit text field. I checked for null values - lenght. as soon as I hit a key to insert a character - I get the above message. I am using access2002 on windows 2000. Is anyone else having this problem?

IM not sure about yours..its sounds like its a little different from mine..but maybe im wrong. mine is that i have a memo field..on 5 records the field is filled about 2100 characters or more and if i add one more it gives the error "Could not update; currently locked by another session on this machine" I have still been trying to find a solution for this..I have access 2000 on a networked database split-up. If anyone has a solution for this or seen similar results plz post..I have been looking at different forums and haven't found what the problem is

Thanks, PAUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back