Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2000
US
How do I make an Emergency Repair Disk on a Windows NT 4.0 Server? Thanks.

Hi,

try this commnad for command prompt
rdisk /s
This will create a ERD for ur server.

Try this this will work,

=============================
ENJOYYYYYYYYY
=============================

Please read this carefully:

What this seems to say is that RDISK simply creates an ERD based on the SAM database created WHEN THE OPERATING SYSTEM WAS FIRST INSTALLED. If anything in the SAM was changed, the RDISK /S or /S- option must be used.

If you don't do this, the SAM saved on the ERD will not be the same as the current one!

Yes, I tried this and its true-I tried to recreate an NT box from scratch using a ERD and the password for administrator was the one that was entered when the OS was first installed on the *original*. Even using the /S switch gave me an "older" admin password. Huh?

Very confusing and not reliable.

Bottom line is, use another backup method. Either Ghost or NT Backup, which backs up the Registry and SAM.

If I'm wrong on this, please someone clarify. There are lots of admins who think they're safe just using a ERD.

Are they?

As a precaution - you should make a backup copy of the %systemroot%\repair directory to ensure you will still be able to make an emergency repair diskette after running RDISK while using one of the above switches. What does that mean?

I read this in the Microsoft article listed above.... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back