Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eratic vertical scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcrans

Technical User
Jan 19, 2002
US
Using XP Home...
A problem developed slowly over a couple of weeks with all windows or window panels with vertical scroll bars, and even some dropdown lists like the mouse properties pointer selection drop down. They scroll up/down top to bottom partially or completely on their own rapidly....does the same thing with either a ps2 mouse or logitech wireless/optical mouse. Every now and then the scrolling stops, but when you start moving around on the screen it starts up again.
The scrolling is just within the window or panel or dropdown, not the whole screen/desktop....so it appears to be software, not hardware. It wizzes thru several thousand rows on an empty Excel worksheet as fast as the row numbers can be displayed......

Any helpful hints???? Thanks in advance....

This sounds as if it might be either a virus problem or a compatibility problem.

Is your virus software up to date? If so try getting a free online scan from one of the virus companies as a second opinion.

Run the compatibility program again and see if any recently added program is giving problems. Think back to what "unusual" software you might have added around the time this started.

If you don't have it already get a copy of Ad-Aware from and check out your machine for spyware and the like.

Does this problem happen in Safe Mode?

If you have enough restore points to go back in time before this problem began, try using System Restore.

You could also run the System File Checker program incase a corrupt system file is causing this. (Sfc.exe /scannow)

Try these ideas if you like, then post back and let us know how you went.

My computer only does that when the scrollwheel is in between the detents on the mouse,but i guess a bad driver can do it as well.

I have had this problem too, in Win 98, ME and XP. NO rhyme or reason, but a reoobt cures the problem. I know that is a bandaid fix but I have no other cure right now.

SG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back