Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Erasing AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
I have a IBM RS/6000 pc which runs AIX 4.3. I want to keep the pc but want to erase AIX. What are the procedures getting AIX off the pc. I tried to bootup with a freebsd or linux disk but still goes straight into AIX. Any suggestions, thanks.

What you have is an RS/6000, not a PC. It uses the PowerPC (or Power or Power2, depending on the age of the system) processor and not an Intel x86 processor. It will not boot off of your standard PC floppy disks and will not run an operating system compiled to the x86 instruction set. Also, as a security procedure, it will not boot off of any external device (floppy, CD, tape) unless you either put the key into service mode (for older systems) or press a function key (I believe F5 or F8, someone correct me if I'm wrong) during the boot sequence on newer systems.
What are you looking to do with the machine? AIX 5L has Linux libraries so you can compile and run Linux apps on it. I think there may be a version of Linux that runs on the PowerPC platform, but it's been a while since I looked at it.

I got the machine from somebody that had no idea how to use it. Personally I just use it for my LAN & WAN LAB experiments. Mostly i use it for network needs. The machine stats:model 7043-140, 43P, 233mhz IBM RS/6000
233Mhz Power PC 604e processor
-128MB
-4.5 Gb
-8x cd-rom
-GXT800P Graphics
-Integrated Ethernet and 10/100 ethernet card
-Keyboard/mouse
-Floppy
I sort of want to get rid of it since im not into AIX. What is the machine going for in price? Thanks for the info!

That system is supposed to be able to run LinuxPPC, I am currently trying to get it loaded on my own 43P right now. You can get a full 6 CD set of SUSE Linux 7.1 PowerPC edition for about $50. But right now I'm having trouble getting my 43P to boot the floppy. Good luck. d3funct
vanya43@yahoo.com
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

'know what? i think the machine that you have now is most likely nice to play with specially with AIX 4.3. but replacing it with linux or other OS, i never had experience and heard off...

you can still sell it for $2,000 - 2,500, considering that the future owner has no warranty at all...as is...(that's my personal opinion)

yep -- sell it and buy a nice(ish) pc that will run linux no trouble Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Thanks for the info everybody I decided to keep the machine

Good idea to keep the RS... simply you won't get more than US$600 at EBay, and, no machine in that price will help you learn Unix without troubles like the RS+AIX combo. You'll get a set of AIX CDs on eBay for US$50 or so.
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back