Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERAD query (UK) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamTheBoy

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2005
GB
Further to my lack of success trying to use IRAD on my Compact Plus Release 4, I thought I'd try the ERAD I had knocking about.

Without connecting the ERAD to the CICS, all I'm seeing on COM1 is

```
```
```
```
```

this repeats indefinately.

Straight serial cable was used, is this correct?

Presumably the ERAD should be connected to any digital extn port on the CICS, but which pins on the RJ11?

TIA

NRU10 set for direct connection says RAD not responding.

rad must be connected to the system dn standard pin out like a set uses

as for the irad does the software have the irad enabled

mike

Thanks for that, seems ERAD doesn't send junk to serial port once connected to the KSU.

F9** now prompts for password, so thats a start. Does anyone know default for a UK ERAD (its not the System ID in the UK)?

As to IRAD, impossible to tell on the UK versions, as its not in the version like on US software cartridges.

The UK versions don't have an SP#???

These are the standard SP codes for CICS 4.0:

mp=CICS 4.0 RES IRAD-OFF E12, F04
mo=CICS 4.0 RES IRAD-ON E12, F04
mm=CICS 4.0 STD IRAD-OFF E12, F04
mn=CICS 4.0 STD IRAD-ON E12, F04
ZB=CICS 4.0 STD IRAD-ON+AA PROG PROMPTS E12, F04

UK ones don't have that info as far as I know.

Mine is SP:30AsE01 NP03

Reading other threads, there is a suggestion to 'downgrade' the ERAD to a FastRAD. Does anyone have the required fastrad.zip file to do this?

Still looking out for the erad to fastrad conversion files, but I've sussed out my RAD not responding issue - Windows 7!

With XP, I can now get NRU to communicate with ERAD (have to go through debug procedure every time to reset ERAD password), but get an error about a missing AVB05ENG.MAP file.

Does anyone know where I can get this file? It's NOT in NRU10, and appears to be a map file for UK versions.

Thanks

I've sent you a number of files that I have acquired over the years on the UK Norstars. It's possible to "downgrade" a UK ERAD using the fastrad.exe file to make it compatible with the NA NRU software.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks Firebirdscambler, appears to be just what I needed. Not had time to fully look at all files, as currently out of the UK until next week.

I note all of the various docs you mention state Release 3, no mention of Release 4. Are there any/many differences between Rlse 3 and 4 on UK software on a Compact Plus?

I think with had release 5 which had some improvements. It's a long time since I played with these old systems as BCM became the main seller.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Just to complete this thread, Firebirdscambler managed to sort out all my issues with this, so a huge thanks to him.

UK devices are different, so we have different softwares, different maps, and slightly different RAD devices (only the badging and the firmware they run).

As far as I can tell, I now have virtually full functionality of NRU to my Compact Plus (CICS), the only thing we cannot get working is the Offline Programming via the Excel workbooks. We suspect we need UK versions, which may or may not ever have been created.

BT, the UK Telco, uses a slightly different remote access system, which is probably the reason for the lack of info/maps, and why its slightly different for UK versions. BT are/were the only approved supplier for new Nortel kit in the UK

That's correct, UK maps were never developed and BT were the only distributer in the UK for many years. Even the MICS / CICS were specially written with their own software.

We have to downgrade the ERAD's to make them work with NRU. Thank goodness a fellow tek-tips member got me the fastrad.exe file.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back