Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equiv of .NET DataSet/DataTable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhnewfie

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
CA
I am moving back into VB6 for a project after spending quite a bit of time in the .NET world. Now I am wondering if there is a way to accomplish the same thing as filling a dataset (.NET) in VB6 so that I can play with the dataset and then query it for added/modified rows for doing updates/additions.

Any help appreciated!!

I think that they were called Recordsets???

I've just blown the dust of my old vb6 database book, when I find some code i'll post it for you.

I won't post an example because from what I have read Recordsets are not that much different to Datasets, except the rows are called fields...

It's not precisely the same. Datasets in .Net are basically analogous to entire databases, whereas recordsets contain results of queries. If you want to do some of the things that you can do with a dataset (e. g. create a table), you'll have to investigate ADOX.

On the other hand, to "fill a dataset" usually means to get the result of a query. If that's what you need to do, I suggest that you investigate the ADO Recordset object. Also, investigate disconnected recordsets, for these are the default in .Net.

HTH

Bob

I was looking at a way to query my recordset for added/updated/deleted records and think that I have found it!! :)

Feel free to share your solution so others won't have to find it on their own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back