Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkcity

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
Anyone know where to buy bulk cable (cat 5e or cat 6), patch panels, rj45 jacks (cat5e or cat 6), raceways and a cable tester.

Graybar, Wesco, Anixter, if you are in the trades. Or, Home Depot sells cable, inserts and plates, even cheap testers (for wiremap only).

Be careful with Home Depot cable, at least their PVC.
I have one installation where the client purchased the cable from HD; most of the cables failed certification the first time around, a telco tech terminated, not a bad job, had to re-terminate most wires, which is very unusual, definitely due to wire quality. Perhaps it was just the wire batch, but I would never purchase HD cable again unless the wire is a brand name. Wire map (continuity testers) are useful for an initial test, you need a cat tester to certify the cables or you are asking for problems. Telco installers generally have them, well worth the add cost to cert the cables.

Good tip. I have never bought it there. I knew that sometimes they sell "B" quality. I don't have much experience with the Leviton product either. Some people swear by it though. I prefer Mohawk cable and ICC components. I can give a 15 year guarantee.

last cable I bought at home depot was the same brand graybar had just sold me for 10 a box more .

no problem using either it or lowes cable.

graybar prices are higher on a lot items

looking at a klein screwdriver, graybar wanted 11.00 home depot 8.98

Graybar's prices are rated on your credit rating and your purchase history. The more you buy the better rate they give you.

well Iv'e only had my account 20 years with them so maybe theyll give me better prices once ive been there awhile. :)

franklin is right, graybar prices fluctuate with your account activity. not necessarily the length of time you've had an account with them, but how much you've bought from them.

Since their prices have alwys been high I buy as little as possible from them.
I have always been able to buy it cheper elsewhere I consider graybar like a conveince store .

conveince, when I dont have the time to wait on having the item shipped in I can stop by and pick it up or they can have it for me tomorrow .

more and more Im finding home depot and lowes can provide me the same quality at the smae or cheaper prices with evan greater conveince

Skip,
I'm not saying you're wrong. You probably do buy things cheaper at home depot or lowes than you can at graybar. They are catering to a niche market for rare to occasional telecom buyers. I think they've got a great service that is certainly needed. However they don't provide many of the basic things that are part of dealing with a traditional supplier such at Anixter / Accutech / Graybar / etc. For instance, when was the last time that a Home Depot sales clerk gave you a lead about an upcoming project? On the other hand, traditional suppliers constantly feed us job leads. When was the last time a Lowes associate had a training class at their branch that offered BICSI credits? Again, a service that is constantly provided by traditional suppliers. I would bet that nearly every question on this forum could be answered by making calls to your local Anixter branch. Unless of course it was a question about that ridiculous "100dollars worth of stupid" thread that keeps popping up. Gawd, will that thing ever die??

JKelly10,

...which one do you actually work for?

Anixter / Accutech / Graybar /

:)

jkelly10 makes some good points

I used to LOVE the alltell branch before they closed it , regular training , items displayed so you knew what they had , knowledgable staff.

for years our graybar was primarly electrical oriented I remeber asking them to stock cable in pop boxs and they came back with some smart azz remark about they would if I would commit to 10k'per month

off course now they have jumped on the datacom bandwagon and their pushing it to electrcions .

I still spend a fair amount with graybar and it pizz's me off to find it cheper at the big box. I was in corprate purchasing at one time so I do know how to find sources it dosnt bother me that I can fidn distributors that sell cheaper than graybar but com onn they ought to give me better prices than homer at home depot gives the DIY guy who is going to run one jack.

bluealhunter,

lol good jab! Actually, I'm just a contractor like most everyone else here. I doubt that there are many Graybar / Anixter / Accutech types on this website since they wouldn't be getting paid for their advice. I see Skip's point, and it would certainly make me mad as hell to find a cheaper price at one of the chain stores than my usual supply channels. Fortunately I haven't run into that problem yet. I know it sounded like I came running to the defense of the suppliers, but I will admit that they've done a lot for me. Just the value of continuing education credits from their seminars to keep my RCDD current has been a godsend.

Check out a company called CSC I've found alot of there stuff to be cheaper.

SCS was slaughtered by Anixter and Graybar in the last bid I put out to them. In fairness to SCS, I haven't done near the business with them that I have the other two, but I was really suprised with thier last quote. Graybar won it by a 17% margin. Anixter was next in line, then SCS. It was Siemens connectivity and Belden Media Twist 80k' Belden 5E 65k' all pvc. Berk Tek 6 strand MM and SM and Ortronics sc pre po connect. I've found that the regional suppliers 4-5 state make alliances with specific manufacturers and the price is unbeatable. The only downside is you don't have the one stop shop scenario that you do with the big 3. I couldn't imagine finding cable or connectivity at Lowes, HD, or Menards cheaper than my suppliers. They would get an earfull if I ever did.

L-Com is good and will sell to anyone.

I agree that one should be very wary of Home Depot. I was doing some AC wiring once and the ground clips they sell there (to bond a ground wire to the edge of a metal box) seemed defective. I looked at them and they were not UL listed device. Very bad news, and particulalry so since HD caters to non-Pros who would not realize they were not working as they should. Makes me very wary- Anything I buy there I check to see it is listed.

Anything I buy there I check to see it is listed

agreed but often I find the identical product to that being sold at the "wholesale " house and I am often finding it at the same price or cheaper.
JUst becouse its at the big box store doant mean its a inferior product (off course the guys at the "wholesale house" would like you to think it is ) the local graybar has a home depot "homer" doll hanging behind the counter tied with a hangmans noose ...they know competion when they see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back