Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattusas

Programmer
Nov 11, 2001
TR
String[][] salih = new String[15][15];
salih[0][0]="Petronas";
String[][] seyhan = new String[15][15];
seyhan[0][0] ="Petronas";

salih.equals(seyhan) return false.
How can I override this?
Thanks.(I need to compare these 2 variables,not their values one by one.)

Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
s.sipahi@sahinlerholding.com.tr

The reason why false is returned is because you are comparing the references and not the acutal strings. If you did the following:

salih[0][0].equals(seyhan[0][0])

It should return true because you are actually comparing the values not the addresses given by the references.

ah, but I think that Hattusas is saying 'how can I compare the contents of two 2D arrays and say whether their contents are equal'....you could create a class containing an array and override the equals() method to check that 1) they are the same dimensions, 2) the contents of each cell are the same.

There is probably a more efficient answer, like using lists that can be directly compared, rather than stepping through each cell.

Jeremy Nicholson, Director of a UK-based Java and Data Warehousing consultancy

>> Thanks.(I need to compare these 2 variables,not their values one by one.)

that is what your code does so it works exactly as you asked. Since the two variable are not equal it returns false.

-pete

if you want the two values to return true, you have to overwrite both the equal and hashcode methods. Else, it will always return false. This is a contract.

~za~
You can't bring back a dead thread!

Thanks for your replies.I see that we are one the same side.I'll have to compare the variables one by one (that means I won't use String dimension in my solution B-) )

Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
s.sipahi@sahinlerholding.com.tr

Status
Not open for further replies.