Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equals Sign in Response Redirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwolf00

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
US
I am trying to redirect to a PDF file and open at a certain page. Unfortunately, the "=" sign becomes "%3D" in the address bar and does not resolve. Is there a way to prevent the encoding?
Code:
response.redirect "[URL unfurl="true"]http://myserver/Metastorm/customASP/ownedIRG.pdf#page=7"[/URL]

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

Can you not just server.urlencode it? Or am I making it more simple than I should?...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
- Winston Churchill

Hey mwolf. Hope all is well!

I had this problem once a long time ago. It really is a special case situation. I ended up never finding a good solution to get it to go directly to the url I wanted so instead I had to write a processing script and place it in the middle of the two. it was as clean as I could get the setup. It wasn't like yours though and it didn't rely on opening a file that is getting parms so I'm not sure it will help unless you can open the file from the processing script instead of direct url to it

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

Chopstik - server.urlEncode will actually do the opposite of what I want done. I'm trying to prevent encoding of the string which seems to be happening on its own. My script that says
Code:
response.redirect "[URL unfurl="true"]http://myserver/Metastorm/customASP/ownedIRG.pdf#page=7"[/URL]
makes
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://myserver/Metastorm/customASP/ownedIRG.pdf#page[/URL][b][red]%3D[/red][/b]7
appear in the address bar.

onpnt - Thanks for the response. All is well and EXTREMELY busy. My application is in final testing and I should have an operational release next month...

I think that we'll have to have them change the PDFs so that they open to the table of contents by default. I believe that is an option when you create them.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back