Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equal sign before expression in Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

michel392

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
BR
I have just opened a new worksheet in Excel: as I type in any cell 10+20 it remains 10+20 in that cell (the result is the string "10+20").
I know that if I want the result I just insert the equal sign before the expression, like this: =10+20 and it results 30 in the cell, and it's ok.
But I've opened an old Excel worksheet and there I can type to a cell just 10+20 (without the equal sign before the expression) and it results 30 in the cell ! But I did not remember how it works. What to do in order not to type the equal sign (=) before expression and the calculation be made ?
Thanks
Michel

maybe you entere
+10+20 ??

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Tools/Options/Transition - tick "Transition formula entry"

The setting seems to be stored with the workbook instead of being global for all.

Yes, it worked fine with any of the two solutions above.
Thank you Zathras (with this method we do not need to use even the plus sign before the expression!) and Geoff.

Excel 2k specifically says it is a SHEET option. So it's even less global than you thought.

Why you would want a workbook with one sheet behaving one way and another a different way is an interesting question.

I suppose you could make it almost global by setting up a workbook template.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back