Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epson TMU 220 printing from FPW 2.6 Esc codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourletr

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
CA
Can some kind soul point me in the direction of how to change the font using Esc codes for the above printer when using a FPW printing programme. It worked just fine with previous model but now prints "uglY" and too large.

TIA

Regards Richard

I can do no better than to refer you to the excellent advice from JRB-Bldr in the previous thread: go to the web and find the manual for the new model. There's obviously been at least one change in the codes and you need to know what else has altered.

Geoff Franklin

If you are printing directly to the printer using ?? or ??? or even @...SAY, or if your report is a Fox DOS report, that thread should certainly apply.
If it is a Fox Windows report for though, you shouldn't have to change anything in the report as the fonts should apply to another printer as long as the printer driver is installed correctly and the printer codes are backward compatible.
What I mean is, you may have to do a little looking around or testing with older printer drivers to get it to work.
Since FPW has control codes for printers 15 or so years old, you may have to use a more generic Epson printer driver for that printer.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Hi Dave:
Yes, thanks, it is Direct to printer using ?? and @ Say. As you will appreciate this is an old application that has been running just fine under a Win98 workstation. The client has updated to XP and we modified the code to read "??" instead of "???", works just fine. However they then got a new machine with only USB ports (no parallel) in our great wisdom we persuaded them to get a new Epson with USB connection. Again all is fine. They then asked us to make some detail changes to this report so we "borrowed" one of their USB printers and hooked it up to our development machine, it was at this stage that the printer started misbehaving and printing only 27 characters per line and in a rather "nasty" font. We have tried just about every Esc code in the book but the printer does not listen or hear as far as we can tell.

Now we come to the interesting bit...
In desperation we plugged the printer into a laptop running XP and it works PERFECTLY, correct font and number of characters per line. So what's the difference?

Here's the comparisons;
Desktop XP Pro
Laptop XP Home
Printer Driver identical Epson advanced on both.
Programme code identical.
It would appear that the desktop has some service loaded in the background that's causing the conflict but my knowledge of the API is stricly limited and I'm not sure where to look for a possible app to remove.

Sorry to be so long winded but it's taken me most of yesterday and all this morning to get this far.

HELP !!!

Regards
RM

Oooops, no parallel port on either the computer or the printer !! Nice try tho !! <BG>

I'm afraid I ain't going to be much more help. I don't really know the internal workings of XP to say that a particular service or configuration needs to be removed or changed in order to get the 'Pro' version to work like the 'Home' version.

All I can say is that earlier versions of Foxpro have no clue what USB is, and getting anything to work on them could be a nightmare.

Maybe you could try creating a report using the report writer and see if that gets sent to the printer okay. If it does, you may be able to get away with rewriting your report using memory variables or table records, and outputting it that way. Or maybe sending it to a file as HTML or something, and printing it with another app.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back