Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eps or jpg 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elic05

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
IL
i have a cdr file with 250 pages
i created a background page in photopaint.
i want it to be a background in all the pages in the cdr file.
is this better to export it to jpg or to eps.

What is the end purpose of this file? Is it going to prepress or web? If it is destined for print, then I would advocate TIFF. JPG is ideal for screen/web, but is a lossy format. It degrades every time you save the document, and is not suited for prepress.

EPS is the format you would export your completed CDR file to for Prepress. Rule of thumb, TIFF is for bitmap graphics such as designed in Photopaint, EPS is for vector graphics such as designed in CD.

hope this helps When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Why don't you just use the native Photo-Paint file?
There is no need to export it as a JPEG or EPS file to use it as your page background in Draw.

What you need to do to use it as a background on all pages is to create a new layer and assign it as a "Master Layer". Then make sure this new Master Layer is the active layer and import the page background graphic into your document. The page background will now appear on all 250 pages automatically -- saving you the time of importing it manually onto all 250 pages.

You can drag the order of the layers around in the Object Manager, so I suggest you drag the Master Layer to the bottom so all the other layers and objects are on top of it. Also, clicking on the little pen graphic for the Master Layer (so it is greyed out) will make the layer uneditable until you choose to make it editable again. This will prevent you from accidentally selecting the background and moving it. Joe Bananas' guide to Perth, Scotland
Bananas' tribute to Fawlty Towers!

Sorry, I've just seen your other similar question so you obviously know how the Master Layer feature works.

As for that other question, I don't think there is any easy way to do that -- the Master Layer is exactly that -- it's all or nothing. I can't think of any easy way to a have a master background which is different on right and left-hand pages -- other than doing it manually :-(

To be honest, Corel Draw is not best suited to documents of that length. If you wanted to stick with Corel it would be Ventura Publisher (I think there is a new version in the pipeline) or look to InDesign or Quark XPress.

P.S. I've been using Corel Draw since Ver 2 so I'm definitely not one to knock Corel products. Joe Bananas' guide to Perth, Scotland
Bananas' tribute to Fawlty Towers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back