Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPS files are now PDF's can I mass update the links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtaubman

Technical User
Nov 17, 2010
US
A publication previously used EPS image files. All of these files have been converted to PDF. All the links in my quark doc are now broken and Usage shows all pictures as Missing. Is there some way to update all of these links at once?
The file names are the same, the only difference is the extension. Please help!

We are a publishing company moving to an all PDF workflow and will have many publications with broken EPS links. Updating one file at a time is time consuming.

Why convert old EPS files to PDF? The graphics do not improve in any way simply by changing their format and they just lead to this relinking problem.

I'd continue to use the old EPS files and introduce any new graphics as PDF.

A publication with a mix of EPS and PDF is ok technically speaking but we have historically seen more and more unusual font problems crop up as a result of maintaining an EPS worklfow. In our experience PDF"s are far more stable and are current technology. Getting support for a PDF workflow is a lot easier than getting support for an EPS workflow. Don't get me wrong I like EPS files, they're small and clean but unfortunately the software generating them in our workflow is inconsistent and unstable. Sadly that software wont be going away anytime soon. Our fear is EPS will eventually be unsupported entirely. PDF workflow is our answer for now.

If all that you are doing is converting EPS to PDF, you might be carrying over whatever flakiness to PDF that you had in EPS.

QuarkXPress basically takes a placed PDF and converts/interprets it as ordinary PostScript (what you are trying to get away from with EPS), flattening/losing any transparency features that might have been in that PDF file. So you probably should not be expecting to have a true PDF workflow. QuarkXPress still seems to think PostScript/EPS internally for placed images. You'd need InDesign 2 (from 2002) or greater for a true PDF workflow. QuarkXPress cannot really be described as 'current technology'. [bigsmile]

You should probably try this link update question at the Quark.com forums. You will notice that Tek-Tips has not had another QuarkXPress post for more than 2 months.

Thanks for the info spamjim. I'll check out the Quark forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back