Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPOL Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xmit

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
US
Is it possible to have EPOL force clients to look for updates/upgrades at startup from the file location (FTP-UNC)? I know this can be configured on the application directly via the schedule, but have found no place to enable this setting via the EPOL console.

In ePO, you have to set a task for each group of computers listed in your directory. Setting a task is just like scheduling a task in the VirusScan Console.

I have set up all of our 800+ PCs to check for upgrades/updates at network login. It works great.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Mary Pierson
mkpierson@cnasurety.com

Mary,

Currently I am testing EPOL 2.0 with Netshield 4.5 and Virus Scan 4.5.1 for possible replacement of McAfee's previous version MMC across our domains.

I've created tasks, and have enabled "Run missed task" but I still am unable to find in the scheduler where to enable my clients to update at login or startup. The only method I can think of at this point is to schedule a task at 5am to ensure it will be missed in hopes the clients will check upon being turned on in the morning. Where exactly is this set in the scheduler? If you could spell this one out for me I would appreciate it.

On another note, the old MMC displayed the current status of the agent to PC software deployment during install (hour glass/Install Log tab), with EPOL it's like it just shows up on the client when it feels like (I've seen up to 30 mins for 4.5.1 install) after I invoke "Send Agent Install" making me wonder if its installing the software at all. Some of our clients are 800 plus miles away with a slow WAN connections. Am I missing something here, if so how do I take the guess work out of the installation process.

Finally, what about remote repositories, with the old MMC you could establish one to keep the software as close to the clients as possible, cutting down installation time and software tranfer over network. Is all of that out the window now?

Sorry for all the questions, but McAfee is now always clear about their products when it comes to installation and usage.

Thanks

Xmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back