Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ePo v2.5 - shedloads of headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntieEPO

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
OK, here we go

Were running ePo 2.5 on a Win2k server.

Now then, the main problem is simply that the enforcement of policies seems completely random and inconsistent.

An example,

we have 2 XP machines, both of which HAD version 4.5 of VScan. Now, straight from the kick off there was no policy for any version of virus scan available in the policies pane for each of these computers. We successfully installed the agent however.

Meaning any polices we tried to enforce were not picked up by these machines.

We added them to a seperate site of thier own.

After much searching through the NAI support we discovered that 4.5.1 sp1 was required for XP management via ePo. Fair enough, we downloaded 4.5.1 sp1 , added it to the repository and applied it to both machines via a force install policy.....NOTHING HAPPENED. STILL no policy available in the details pane.

We repeated the above after manually removing Vscan from both machines. STILL unable to apply an install of both 4.5 and 4.5.1.

So we installed 4.5.1 sp1 manually on one of the machines, and 4.5 manually on another, sent the agent no problems as usual, STILL no policy available to each machine. The agent has determined that the machine has VScan (looking in the properties tab confims this) but there is NO POLICY available in the policy tab ---WHY!!!!!

Inevitably we are therefore uable to apply any policies to either machine - we tried to force an uninstall of 4.5 from the machine we manually loaded with 4.5 and then force an install of 4.5.1 on it. The agent simply does not pick up policies for Vscan for either machine.

We were under the illusion that this was an XP problem only, and then low and behold it begins to affect an NT machine running 4.5. This time, whilst being able to configure a policy for this machine, the policy simply was not being enforced for Vscan, again, the agent simply was not picking any Vscan policies up..WE ARE UNABLE TO UNINSTALL Vscan from this machine via ePo.

Curently we have deleted all agent and Vscan software from both XP machines and are unable to install agents on these machines.

we are also unable to run scheduled tasks on most machines, as I have described in my post in the previous thread (epo tasks).

BRING BACK MCON!

Talk to your friendly McAfee rep and they will get an SE to assist you in getting the hotfix. It's not available for download from the public web site.

AVChap

Hey AVChap

Thanks heaps for ya help. Will contact the rep as soon as poss... We also need help with getting ePo to do our upgrades too. They don't even wanna work. Any ideas on how to lay out the engine upgrade directory? What *.ini files etc do we need in there?

Cheers
Feng

You can upgrade the engine in two ways: via a SuperDAT AutoUpgrade or just select under the advanced tab in AutoUpdate -- upgrade scanning engine when new engine is available.

Using AutoUpgrade via SuperDAT:

1. Download the SDAT4xxx.EXE file to a directory and rename it to SETUP.EXE
2. Download AUTOUPG.ZIP from the same web page and extract the contents of the i386\mcafee folder to the same directory as SETUP.EXE
3. Create an AutoUpgrade task and point it to this directory.

HTH,

AVChap

You guys are good :)

Just one further thing. Experimenting with the batch file, and I noticed when I DOS FTP, I can't retain timestamp information. Is there anyway to fix this?

What we're trying to do, is ftp just update.ini, dat-*.zip, and delta.ini.

Currently if I IE FTP (cringe) then it works, and retains the timestamp of the source remote file. But if I use dos FTP, it doesn't. Any ideas?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back