Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPo tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgrasso

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
IT
I setup 4 tasks (ns45, vsh45, vsh451, ns403 ) for dat update on my group of computer (epo 2.5.1).
i would like run all the task everyday at 13:30 but i am unable to do this. the first day the tasks run then nothing happens.

the task are enabled and i set (in the advanced) the end time.

Any idea ?
Thanks for your help

Fabio

Fabio

How do you know that the tasks arent working?
You can't look in the local Virus Console to find the new tasks you have depoyed through ePO.
The ePO agent uses .tsk files when executing tasks on the local machine.

You have 3 ways to check that the tasks are running properly.

1. Pull out a report in ePO, you might whant to set the filters in the database to show unsuccessfull updates, (McAfee usually only delivers a new DAT once a week)

2. Check the local ePO agent log. You will see the line "Excecuting task ...." You will also see in the beginning of each log the "Schedulue: Task (task name) Loaded successfully".

3. Check the local "Update Upgrade Activity Log.txt" located in the install directory on the local machine.

Good luck
AVDude

I am having similar problems

If a task is successfully applied to a client then you SHOULD be able to see changes within the local VScan to the properties of the task - This has happened to each of the clients that I have (on occasion) had success in applying tasks to.

It seems ePolicy decides to work properly every now and again, but generally it doesnt, and applying scheduled tasks is one of the components that doent seem to work very often.

Having looked at both the Agent log - which has no entry associated with a task, as well as attempting to look at the activity log - which is greeted by a maessage stating that a log has not been created, it is clear that the tasks simply ARENT running. ( task settings = logs written to on every succsessfully completed task, the fact that no log has been created surely means that the task has never run)

This, along with the fact that I cannot enforce installations OR policies for Virus Scan versions 4.5 AND 4.5.1 with any kind of consitency suggests the Management Edition is still by far the better product, despite all the bells and whistles of ePo.

My post above, just setting to notify by email. See my other thread for further problems!

I have been using ePO for over a year and have found too that if you set daily tasks to update the DAT files that it will only work once or twice and then not again.

My solution was to set the schedule to run at Login instead. This works flawlessly. Everytime they login to the network, it tries to update the DAT file. If they are already updated, it stops the process.

This works well for our environment and the one task I have set for the office hasn't changed in a year and is still working.

For some reason, the Daily task doesn't work like it should. Sounds like an issue for McAfee.

Hope this helps.

Mary Pierson

dear darrnic,
how many client do you have in your epo installation?

we have two installation: one is about 260 client and the other is about 1400 client (in various building).

At the moment i'm not able to understand how many resource (network band) need this process, any idea?

thanks, fabio

Fabio,

We have one installation for about 850 nodes. Each location has a server, so the updates run from the local servers. The only network resources that are used are the copies that are done twice a week to each of the servers. We do that off hours, so it doesn't interfere with regular network traffic.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Thanks!

Mary Pierson
mkpierson@cnasurety.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back