Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPO Scheduled Tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

shhchen

MIS
Dec 10, 2002
AU
Hi All,

Desperate help needed.
I'm currently experimenting on EPO to evaluate its performance in terms on local user here and also cross domain users. Before I even test the cross domain testing, I have managed install EPO, and set some of the local PC with agent to do some test.

I have tested by enforcing ePO Agent installation on the local PC, follow by enforcing to install MccAfee 4.5.1.
Then follow by enforcing DATs updates from McAfee ftp sites. These all goes well. Then it hit me something, I need to reduce the internet download for the company, so I tried to schedule the tasks to do update through UNC. But it just refuse to work !
I have check the directory has been shared with FULL access for all, and point it correct location, etc etc. But somehow, the task just refuse to work.
I even tried to go into teh agent and see the tasks log, it appears the task was imported into teh agent, but somehow it is not exercuting.

Can anyone tell me why ? before I gone bold by pulling all my hair out.

Thanks in advance !

Even if it's on the same domain, you'd need to specify an account for the task to get access to the UNC path, preferably a domain admin account. It's quirky but it has happened to us before and we solved it this way.

HTH, AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

Have you created a Null share for the shared directory? When using a mirror site on the local network I had to make it a Null share for it to work correctly.

When setting up dat updates there are a few things to know. Many users in an IT environment go to the mcafee web site for downloads and extract the .zip for autoupdates. You should be going to ftp://ftp.nai.com/virusdefs/4.x and downloading all of the files found there. Of course you can ignore the .tar fil for Unix, the readme and the Extra directory.

The 15 .upd files, delta.ini and update.ini should be downloaded weekly. The most recent .upd, the delta.ini and update.ini change weekly and are released as a set. These are the incremental files allowing the client to be out of date up to 15 weeks back and obtaining an update from where they are, dat ver wise, to the latest dat.

Keeping it simple, ie: client dat is 4230 and the latest dat is 4232, client looks for dat set in UNC specified for autoupdate and pops each incremental file 4231 & 4232 at 100k approx ea update and is complete.

If the update or autoupgrade fails you should be checking at the client and see if the task you setup at the EPO server exists at the client. If it does not exist, check to see if client agent is talking to epo server or redeploy the agent from eposerver to the client.

Let me know if that helps and please supply an example of what your task settings are.

AVO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back