Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPO Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwest1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
GB
We have had EPO installed and running for several months with relatively no problems, however it recently stopped pushing out the agent to any new or rebuilt machines. NO settings have changed at all and we have had no issues with the server. Have logged a call with NAI about 2 weeks ago and sent them the config files but we are constantly chasing them.
Has anyone else had this problem or know of a reason why it would suddenly stop.

Thanks in advance.

Any errors in the Event viewer on the server or the clients?

what O.S. are the clients?

What happens if you manually install the agent with a framepkg file?

I know its a micky mouse question but are you certain you have full admin rights to the local machines from the EPO console? (i.e. no-ones changed any passwords?)

Clients are all XP SP1.

No permission problems, installed with Anti-Virus service acct with Domain Admins privilige.

No specific Event Viewer messages either. Am quite familiar with EPO and cannot find anything wrong. I get the impression NA don't know either. Their support is very poor.

Have re-installed Epo altogether. It is now working again.

Hi jwest1,

I'm having the same problems with EPO here.
running epo version 2.5.1.234 on a win2k Server.
I have mostly windows NT Worstation PC's
and some Windows 2000 and XP pc's.

I find that on a daily basis my EPO server will only push out the latest engines and Dat files to some pc's rather that all in the domain.

did you reinstall over your existing server or uninstall/install?

dkny

We uninstalled EPO and reinstalled altogether. Best option in case your config is corrupt.

Got a call back from NA support 2 weeks and 2 days since we first logged asking for our config files. Explained we had sent them twice already and didn't need their help anymore as we had reinstalled, To which they cheerfully said oh good! we'll mark it as fixed then. "Top support"

Hope it goes well.

Thanks jwest1,

I am releatively new to EPO myself and having issues navigating around it.

All my PC's users have no local admin rights.
I'm having issue even sending the epo agents to new PC's.
I'm running Virusscan 4.51 on most PC's, some still have V4.50 but will not update even thou task are setup to do it. Manual update works half the time.

I take it all my tasks, PC's and configs will be lost after a reinstall?

Can I not upgrade EPO to version 3 or so? And will it help?

thanks
DKNY

If you are licensed for it go for Ver 3. We did and also pushed out virus scan Enterprise Ver7.1. We did not need to keep any legacy support thereafter.
We have 500+ XP users over several sites but have good links so kept the config simple.
One site with all the subnets in. We can then do an update on the Domain as opposed to managing all the sites.

Me and my colleague are both self taught as we work for a company that doesn't believe in paying for training. Have a read of the product guide as it is pretty good and do what we have done. Keep it simple. Good product when its up and running.

JWEST1:

I just had to use McAfee support for the same problem at the head of this thread. The first step was to delete all tasks from documents and settings/all users/application data/network associates/common framework/tasks. DO NOT delete the two sub folders. Note this is on the server.

On not pushing agents out, make sure Remote registry service is turned on the clients.

I finally had to run a query against the ePO database to fix the problem. Since the query looks like they put some database triggers in, maybe you lost a trigger. A new install completely reinstalls the database.

DKNY:

If you're running ePO 2.5.1, 3.0.1 or 2a are a lot different but better!

Unless you have W98 or ME clients, get rid of 4.5.1 asap! 7.1 is much better on XP clients.

McAfee service got pretty bad there for awhile but seems to be getting better. I usually prefer to open cases on-line if it's not a critical issue. It may take a couple of days but the right person usually gets the ticket.

bfralia:

Hi, i have the same problems you guys have.
Can you send me the details on how you solved this problem.

The details that solved my problem are in the post above yours. If that doesn't do the job then you'll have to talk to McAfee about getting the fix task query that finally fixed my problem.

Hi bfralia,

I try to get the query from McAfee support in The Netherlands, but they don't know which fix I need. Do you have a casenumber of your call with McAfee so I can refer to that? Sending me the query will be also very fine ;)

Thanks!
Peter

Progaar:

The case number was 613544, entered 20-July-2004.

Another thought struck me about the original problem above. If a computer is upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, a security change has to be made in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\SECUREPIPESERVERS\WINREG must be set to allow at least read access to the local system. This isn't a problem on a fresh build of XP. Point being is that if this isn't done, wont much happen to that computer from the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back