Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ePO, or ME 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
We are using ME in a medium / large organisation. Currently we are only using it for the servers (around 85) but we are looking to deploy it to the clients. So far it runs quite well. It has a couple of problems, but nothing major.

Before we roll out ME to all our 1500+ clients, I would like to think about ePO, but someone told me ePol can only be used in a Win2k Active directory enviroment. Is that true?

Should I consider ePO, or stick with the working Management Edition?

I worked with Management Edition shortly before ePO 1.1 was released. After seeing the capabilities of ePO, I quickly made the move to ePO.

Currently we are running 1000 nodes with ePO. It makes client virus management a breeze. We are running ePO on a Windows NT 4.0 server with no W2K active directory involved. There may be benefits to running in the active directory environment, but it does work in a NT 4.0 domain environment.

To install the agent on W9x clients, I placed the EXE file in the client login script and ran it that way. Otherwise, you have to have file and print sharing turned on.

I like the product and have been using it for about a year. One thing I have found is that you should plan to have your ePO SQL database on a separate SQL 7.0 server to improve performance on your ePO server. Also plan a dual processor server with at least 512MB in RAM. For as many clients as you have, a dual processor server will be necessary for performance.

I hope this helps. If you would like any more help with ePO, let me know.

Mary
mkpierson@cnasurety.com

We are using me onto a 300 client network with a lot of problem. We are also testing EPO 2.5: the first impression is good. In this lan we have quite all machine running nt / w2k.

We need to deploy the Epo solutions onto an another network (50 server nt4/w2k, 1400+ clients) that have 95% of client w9x.

Could you give more details about the agent used via login script ? It seems very interesting because is a big effort move the client to file and print sharing turned on and administrative access.
The exe is naimas32.exe ?
You need some line command switch ?
Is necessary have some special settings on the client?

Thanks in advance
Fabio Grasso
f.grasso@datasiel.net

We began testing ME awhile ago; no serious problems, but it does have limitations - only so many machines can be managed by a single ME server. We then began testing of ePO 2.0 and it scales much better: supposedly 100K machines per ePO server. We currently have about 2200 of our 14000 machines managed by ePO with good results. We will be adding the rest of the enterprise machines as quickly as possible. One difference between ME and ePO is that ME is (was?) free but ePO has a price tag.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately management doesn't allow me to use ePO, so i'm stuck with ME. :(

RickSunde: How many clients did you run per ME server?

I have around 1500+ clients, which I would like to divide over several ME servers.

I've been using it for my servers (85 nt4.0) without problems. Now im including workstations, and im seeing more and more problems there. (Mcafee service stops after updating client)

When we were testing ME it was with just a few dozen machines. NAI told us that ME would only support approx 1000 machines so we knew we had to do something else. We began testing ePO a couple months ago, and went to prod a few weeks ago. We now have about 11,000 machines defined and managed. The reporting features are really nice, especially the graphs.

ME is not an enterprise tool and it is end of life. EPO will grow in excess of 150K users on one server!

ME and EPO clients can be run at the same time while you eval.

Dege

Currently we are running McAfee 4.5.1 on W95 machines (OSR2)
We would like to use ePO for AV Desktop management, however,
when we try to install the agent we receive the following errors on numerous machines ranging from Pentium 166 to 733.
NAIMAS32 caused an invalid page fault in module AVSYNCH.DLL.
and or
NAIMAS32 caused an invalid page fault in module NMCOMN32.DLL
and or
Error: Unable to establish communications link between application and device driver.(1)

SCAN ENGINE 4.1.60 DAT 4.0.4176
NAI has NOT been able to HELP correct this problem.
Any IDEAS...

NAIMAS32 locks system. I am running on Windows 98. Every minute or so, NAIMAS32 hogs the processor for about 10 seconds. The mouse is very slow and the editing window lags behind the keyboard. This is very annoying. Can it be fixed or shutdown?

jbodoh,

What version of ePO are you using? Latest version is 2.5 with SP1. Make sure you install this version as this has most of the hotfixes, your problem included there.

Hope this helps.

AVChap

Hi.
I am using ME 2.5 in my organization.
I want to start using EPO 2.5
I want to control all 150 workstations that are now
controled by the ME, by EPO.
What is the best way to do it (change from ME to EPO)
All the workstations are W2K.
Thanks.
Birdy.

Birdy

Best way to migrate from ME to ePO are to actually use ME to remove the ME-agent since the ePO-agent and the ME-agent can't run on the same system.

Once you have removed ME on a machine add it into ePO and start manage it.

AVDude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back