Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ePO agent service stops running

Status
Not open for further replies.

LungFu

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
US
I have ePO agent installed on all my Win 2k servers. Lately, on a few of them the ePO agent service will stop. I can restart with no problem but it stops again within a few hours. I've tried re-installing the agent but that hasn't helped. Some of the servers with this problem have had ePO agent running successfully since this summer. Some are new installs.

Running ePO v. 2.5.1.

Any suggestions????

Hi,
I have a few questions for you:

1. Does the server name have a netbios name or domain name with and apostrophe, underscore or special character?

2. Is service running as a system service or user?

AVO

AVO,

Thanks for your interest. To answer your questions:

1. No, server and domain names have no special characters - all alpha and numerical.

2. The ePO agent service is using the system account and not a user acccount.

A little more info since my original post - I've set the service to restart when they stop. It restarts successfully but will stop again (anywhere between 10 minutes to 2-3 hours). Also, one of the affected servers appears to be cured - agent has stopped in several days.

Thanks again.

Hello Lungfu,
Are you running SQL or MSDE (SQL Lite)? I have seen this problem with a SQL database scenario and a Domain name with special characters. You mentioned that the problem has disappeared on one, mmmm? Do you have aviview.exe? This is an unsupported diagnostic tool that you can run while the server is up and you might capture additional failure information that will not appear under server events. The server events doesn't provide any real useful information and AVIVIEW is a really nice tool for seeing what is happening between your server and clients anyway. You can obtain from the McAfee SE in your area.

AVO

AVO,

We are running SQL on a separate server.

I spoke too soon about the problem resolving itself on one server. I checked the system event log and they did not include any messages about the services stopping. However, I suspected a problem when the DAT file didn't update ons chedule. The agent must have locked up (without showing that it stopped) because it wasn't doing anything. I restarted the ePO agent and it returned to its old trick of stopping.

I do have aviview.exe. I will run this on one of the affected servers and try to gather more information.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep you posted on what I discover.

I discovered by using AVIVIEW that each time ePO agent stopped ePO was enforcing a policy (one was Outbreak Manager and one was PCR). The agent would not stop every time these policies were enforced but every time it stopped one of these policies was being enforced.
Through ePO management console I disabled the enforcement of these policies on affected servers and the agent has not stopped since.
So my problem with the agent stopping has been resolved. However, I am trying to get info from NAI why the policies would cause the agent to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back